Bark At The Moon or The Ultimate Sin?

Here we discuss topics related to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

All Access Member

Bark At The Moon or The Ultimate Sin?

Postby timstar » Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:49 am

After living with these albums for many years I have come to the conclusion that I like BATM better.

Just better songs IMO, the production is a bit more 70s sounding, with TUS being more 80s, but I just prefer listening to it.

I know Jake wrote most of TUS but there is a lot of filler on there IMO.

However Shot In The Dark is my fave Ozzy song.

Ultimate Sinner

Re: Bark At The Moon or The Ultimate Sin?

Postby Jake67 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:38 am

Interesting... I think TUS is the better album precisely because I don't think it has much filler.

I do like BATM, but if I never heard songs like So Tired, Now You See It, and Slow Down ever again, it wouldn't hurt my feelings.

Of course, that's balanced by some killer songs like the title track and Rock & Roll Rebel.

I may be a bit biased in that my first exposure to Ozzy and Jake was through the concert released from the Ultimate Sin tour. And that was in the days when artists actually played songs from the new album. So that was my entry into the world of Ozzy and Jake and lots of times people favor whatever first album they had exposure to.

Killer of Giants

Postby CharvelSuperStrat » Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:21 pm

I agree with Jake67. the title track and rock n roll rebel are great from BATM with other songs like so tired and slow down kind of lacking. TUS has no filler! its great from start to finish i think.
"Hello this is Robbin Crosby from RATT, and when you're in your car remember to buckle up for safety, ITS THE LAW!"

Postby skezza » Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:54 am

Both great albums. I love Bark at the Moon and I love Ultimate Sin. They are two slightly different flavours which gives a great complement of sound. It is sad that Ozz has almost disowned the Ultimate Sin, despite its success!
WWW.ULTIMATERHOADS.COM - Randy Rhoads Website!

All Access Member

Postby Shadow » Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:41 pm

Both albums are Classic heavy & are different from night to day: I like both ablums Ozzy Osbourne "Bark At the Moon" and "The Ultimate Sin" just about the same & it's quite difficult choosing one over the other. I always love how the "The Ultimate Sin" kicks off it's a throat-ripping song very edgy & solid..'sounds like JAKE is hacking at something/his guitar has a tomahawk groove going there and the deadly edge to OZZY voice toward the end is chilly-frostbite! :!: And "Bark At the Moon" well that one is all out Horror Thunderbolt w/JAKE's solid guitar masterprice soaring the way & OZZY-looking like a Wolf going insane...'each vintage song etc.,. from both Classic Albums are awesome! :twisted: 8O Peace.

Killer of Giants

Postby Doobie » Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:06 am

Take your 5 faves from each, put them on one disk and you get one helluva CD. :)

Killer of Giants

Postby Fakeblue » Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:09 pm

I can't make up my mind.
TUS never's song is pure perfection to me. Every single note....and the solo is so perfectly composed.....pure magic.

Killer of Giants

Postby Doobie » Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:19 pm

Fakeblue wrote:I can't make up my mind.
TUS never's song is pure perfection to me. Every single note....and the solo is so perfectly composed.....pure magic.

Has always been one of my fave's and one of Jake's best IMO.

All Access Member

Postby pejale » Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:51 am

For me, The Ultimate Sin is still Jake's best work. It's also a well named album as it is the "Ultimate sin" how Jake and his work have been deleted from the o$bourne history(gravy train).

All Access Member

Postby tedeeoo » Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:34 pm

I'd probably have to go with TUS also just because it shows off Jake more, but Rock-n-Roll Rebel may still be Jake's all time best Ozzy song.

Killer of Giants

Postby MetalHead » Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:40 am

TUS fan here 8)

to my ears, it sounds more open(guitarsound wise) whereas BATM
sounds more compressed.
"Spend less time chasing tones and more time just playing music." - Marty Friedman

All Access Member

Postby markymarc1979 » Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:33 am

Hi all, first post. I think I would say TUS, i've been trying for years to nail the solo in TUS!

Rock N' Roll Rebel

Postby kevinxdunk » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:18 am

I like Jake's guitar playing in both albums, equally.
But personally I think the bass and drums playing sounds just not as good as Bob Daisley and Tommy Aldridge.
Maybe that's because of my preference of an older style of rock/metal sounding

All Access Member

Postby tedeeoo » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:05 am

kevinxdunk wrote:I like Jake's guitar playing in both albums, equally.
But personally I think the bass and drums playing sounds just not as good as Bob Daisley and Tommy Aldridge.
Maybe that's because of my preference of an older style of rock/metal sounding

You know I've been listening to "TUS" alot lately and I've always thought the same thing, especially about Randy's drum sound. His playing is great but his sound is kind of flat and thin to my ear on that record. Tommy is just the ultimate hard rock drummer to me, nobody can touch him live, great sound, great chops, and like Randy Castillo an extremely nice guy.

All Access Member

Postby harddriver » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:48 am

The Ultimate Sin is without a doubt better than BATM. The only decent song on BATM is the title track. Killer of Giants and Lightning Strikes still give me goose bumps to this day. Fool like you is an awesome middle finger track and Never Know Why features an amazing solo by Jake. To bad Jake doesnt record anymore :cry:

Next

Return to All things Jake E Lee...