Found a totally funny Story about Jake at 96 NAMM

Here we discuss topics related to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

Rock N' Roll Rebel

Found a totally funny Story about Jake at 96 NAMM

Postby Alkeys » Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:54 pm

From Mike Keneally's Beer for Dolphins site:
January 24 1996 2:55:04 PM

Thursday night was the show in the Hilton. We played before guitarist Jake E. Lee. Can't say we "opened" for him exactly because it took him two hours to get his show started after we finished. It's not my policy to speak ill of other artists on this page, so I've got nothing more to say about Jake.

I'm getting out of order anyway, before the Hilton gig Bryan and I did a duet thing at the Rivera booth. Have you ever been to NAMM? There are stringent decibel restrictions which can be violated by a single authoratatively executed bass note, even at what seems like maniacally low volume. So energy must be maintained and sustained in an atmosphere where you can hear what sounds like spastic orangutans flailing at a high-hat cymbal 1000 yards away better than you can hear your own guitar. Thursday we did OK; Friday we did OK; Saturday turned out great. Stands to reason that it took us three tries to dick the format, and the show was then over and done, for us anyway. But here I am out of order again.

I have to mention Jake again, but only in passing. He was supposed to do a soundcheck at around 3:00 or so but had not arrived by 5:00, when we were scheduled for our own soundcheck. Jake's bassist and drummer, both fine fellows, were not exactly thrilled with the situation, which was a little rickety to begin with; it was only fourteen or so hours earlier that the bassist had heard the last three songs to be played in the show. The drummer had also just gone through a trying situation: he and Jake were hit up by a beggar who became outraged when the drummer claimed to have no money. The guy picked the drummer up by the collar and began to threaten him, when Jake pulled a gun on the guy and he retreated. What can you say? It's a good thing Jake had a gun on him.

A filmmaker named Michael was there for soundcheck and he presented me with two books, one on poodle breeding and a 1971 hardback bio of Eric Dolphy. Being immersed in Coltrania as I am these days, I was thrilled to receive the Dolphy book, but it was the poodle book which I ended up reading on stage during our rendition of the Band Of Gypsys tune "Power Of Love". Bryan, who has been full of piss and vinegar since the fight at the last Bourbon Square gig, was ready to kill in order to attain the stage and begin our rightful soundcheck. I worked it out with Neal from Tech 21 (sponsors of the performance) that we'd do our check around 6:00 come Jake or high water, Bryan calmed hisself. Toss was hanging with buddies, including Satnam our occasional tablaist, and in such good spirits you'd think the bar wasn't just serving water at the moment. Toss pledged to drink no beer before the show this evening because it fatigues him quicker. Much as I hate to admit it, I personally have much more fun on stage if I've got two beers in me, which may have something do with why I'm so profoundly overweight at the moment. I just renewed my membership at the gym, however, and have been attending on a semi-regular basis for the first time in months. I'm not going to make any grand pronouncements because I look like an asshole when I lapse back into old habits. I'm not even going to make any casual promises. I ask you only to wish me well and hope my resolve remains, not even firm, let's try existent.

Anyway, now's an appropriate time to mention that Neal and I went down to the lower floor of the Hilton and ate big old fattening sandwiches. Back up in the bar, still no Jake, so the BFD soundcheck commenced. For some reason it was impossible to achieve a truly optimum stage mix despite the relatively elaborate sound system in use. It had been malfunctioning earlier and I think the sound guy was reticent to tax it too heavily. (It's easier for me to write this kind of stuff in the present tense, so I'm switching now.) Also Toss can't hear us very well because he's playing in a recessed area of the stage which forms kind of a shell over him and his kit, and every time he plays he drums up a big cloud of noise through which no other sonic information may peek. We're still soundchecking when the audience comes in. I am presented with a beautiful silver dolphin-shaped bottle opener (DFB!), I believe by lawyer and guitar enthusiast Hank Shrenker but my apologies if I'm mistaken. It should also go without saying that Rich Lewis is videotaping everything in sight.

January 25, 1996 1:00:12 AM

Back to the Hilton - and the past tense - anyway it was a great show. Poor Toss could barely hear us which resulted in a few breathtaking moments but he was still brilliant as usual. Again Beller has prepared the set list and again I dig this fact. The crowd was very supportive and the post-show crunch was the most intense I've yet undergone for a Keneally gig. MANY thanks to all who attended. After dealing with my adoring public I loaded my gear, found a valet guy who was willing to let me keep my car in front of the main entrance AND let me keep my own keys, and returned to the bar (where a group of extremely patient people crowded the dance floor waiting for Jake, who had hijacked Thomas Nordegg from our crew and thank God he did because if it wasn't for Thomas piecing together his rig Jake would've have to mic the strings of his electric guitar and strum really hard - and finally two hours later Jake was ready and played a set which lasted all of half an hour - in contrast to our 90 minute "opening" set. But I'm not here to speak ill of Jake - I keep forgetting that) where Toss and his buddies were raging, Bryan's hormones were in full-on overdrive and I allowed the extraordinary Keith from Rivera to buy me a lot of bottles of Samuel Adams, one of which I knock onto the floor and can't quite summon up the reflexes to pick up, I throw my arms in the air and shout and watch the liquid pour onto the floor before one of my compadres snatch it up - sorry I can't remember if it was Keith or Bryan. I'd had a bit to drink you understand.

Killer of Giants

Re: Found a totally funny Story about Jake at 96 NAMM

Postby MetalHead » Wed Feb 01, 2006 1:42 pm

damn, didn't know the guy pulled guns on people ... if it's true though ...
"Spend less time chasing tones and more time just playing music." - Marty Friedman

All Access Member

Postby harddriver » Wed Feb 01, 2006 2:44 pm

When Jake did do his solo tour what kind of set did he have ? Did he just play instrumentals for the whole show ? Did he have a vocalist or what ?

Secret Loser

Postby Hell_Tanner » Wed Feb 01, 2006 3:03 pm

My take on that:

- Mike Kennealy reports dubious stories on his site,
- MK can't remember Jake's drummer and bassist names, uh?
- MK has a pretty boring writing style and talks too much.
- MK don't want to speak ill about Jake but does it at every opportunity.

And that last point irritates me...a lot, I just hate when people do that.

Killer of Giants

Postby MetalHead » Wed Feb 01, 2006 3:26 pm

Jake pulling a gun seems unlikely though.

I would've guessed he would've used Jeet-Kun-Do on the guy instead :twisted:
"Spend less time chasing tones and more time just playing music." - Marty Friedman

Killer of Giants

Postby Deansolo » Wed Feb 01, 2006 4:05 pm

There's sooo many cops at NAMM (all over the city during the convention). I doubt there was a bum hanging around, let alone begging!....And Jake was late......So What.....Jake's always late, even admits it himself! Dudes just trying to make his boring story more interesting by focusing on the fact that Jake E Lee is not very punctual.

Thank you, I'm mad now. :evil:
www.cats-eyeesp.com
www.myspace.com/catseyeesp

Have you hugged your Cat's-Eye pedal today?

Killer of Giants

Postby MetalHead » Wed Feb 01, 2006 4:07 pm

Deansolo wrote:Thank you, I'm mad now. :evil:

Don't be.
Start designing the FZ/OD/DS pedal idea I gave you some time ago :D

Rock N' Roll Rebel

Postby Alkeys » Wed Feb 01, 2006 4:41 pm

yeah probably not true but damn funny LOL

All Access Member

Postby harddriver » Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:05 pm

But can someone please answer my question :?: When Jake was on his solo tour what did he perform and with who ?

All Access Member

Postby harddriver » Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:06 pm

But can someone please answer my question :?: When Jake was on his solo tour what did he perform and with who ?

All Access Member

Postby jb42371 » Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:09 pm

many gigs never go on as scheduled, i guess if mike was late.......but wait that must never happen right? plus it doesn't sound like they had any bad words with jake? i bet they saw his show, and thought he sucks in their minds, becuase they copy zappa tunes all day, and that puts their musical caliber way above jake. fuck them, i don't own any mike records, i think he is a good player, and i love zappa music, but all i can think of is the word dicky..............

All Access Member

Postby Shadow » Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:19 pm

I really don't have much to say about this post thead which I find to be a bunch of heresay & damaging to Jake E. Lee's character. It's a pretty wild crazy story & not "funny" at all. I "seriously" doubt it's wild fabucations before & after JAKE's fine live performance! I have the NAMM 1996 special Event on DVD that Rebel Guitarist/Musician Jake E. Lee attended that also included Ray Luzier on Drums, the Bassist I'm not clear who played Bass. It was fine Jake E. Lee Trailblazing Instrumental NAMM '96 Event and "pleased" that I have some of it's excellent footage on DVD. Peace!

Postby Bluesman » Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:43 pm

Hello!
I was at that concert and YES! Jake was very late, but who cares???. I´m from Sweden but i lived in LA between 95-96 and i was lucky to watch Jake in concert twice.
My roomate was a good friend with Ray Luzier who played drums with jake at that time. I heard the "Jake pulling a gun story" from my roomate and he got it from Ray, so i guess it´s true. But this is the story that i heard: Jake and Ray stopped at a gas station and suddenly there was a guy who came up with a knife and tried to rob them. Jake pulled out a gun and the guy ran away. Maybe Jake didn´t wanted to use his fist before the show :) .

The show at the Hilton was great. He played mostly songs from AFPM and it was great to hear those songs live.

Killer of Giants

Postby Deansolo » Mon Feb 06, 2006 5:08 pm

Welcome to the board, and thanks for sharing! :) The gas station version sounds more realistic to me...like I said before with all the cops around during NAMM, crooks like that would more than likely be hanging around gas stations and places like that as opposed to the hotels and venues.

I'm not mad anymore! :D

Thanks again for the info!
www.cats-eyeesp.com
www.myspace.com/catseyeesp

Have you hugged your Cat's-Eye pedal today?

Killer of Giants

Postby frethead » Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:06 pm

Jeet kun do may be spoken of as "the way of the empty fist." Apparently, Jake was carrying a gun around. Therefore, his hands weren't empty.

Next

Return to All things Jake E Lee...