Megadeth Vs. Metallica

Here we discuss topics unrelated to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

Megadeth Vs. Metallica

Megadeth
70%
Metallica
30%

Total votes : 20
Killer of Giants

Re: Megadeth Vs. Metallica

Postby Rock » Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:40 am

Stargazer wrote:
RandyRhoadsRules! wrote::( none of you can comprehend the skills of slayer!

I like the band a lot but I think they are pretty unskilled.

As far as I am concerened, Show no Mercy is their best album, fuk all the critics and wannabe critics, that was the ground breaking album. :) Anyone who says otherwise, is just following what one person started. :)

All Access Member

Postby PoetsandMadmen » Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:30 am

Well, I never dug the lack of vocal talent and the overflowing of Satanic lyrics! :-)

To each his own though.....

Killer of Giants

Postby mrmetal » Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:39 am

I remember once on the old thread I said that Tom could sing better than Mandy Lion....you think I would have penned a Danish cartoon of Mohammad.

All kidding aside, don't fool yourselves folks, Slayer made a name for themselves in the industry and are very accomplished players. I have seen them live several times and that is one tight band. I realize they are not every ones cup of tea, but Tom's vocals are certainly no less talented than James Hetfield and Hanneman's riffs are nothing to snear at.

All Access Member

Postby PoetsandMadmen » Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:35 pm

In all honesty, I've never really given the band a fair listen. For me personally, I have a problem with their image, so I can't get past that.

The only songs I've heard of Slayer's are the very few that received play on the original Headbanger's Ball. Reign in Blood being one that stands out the most. It's not fair of me to say the band members can play or can't play, because I don't know. Judging from the few cuts I've heard, I've never been that impressed though.

I will say this. I watched some of the Testament - Live In London DVD last night, and I believe an ex-Slayer drummer sits in for the first half of that show. If that's true, the dude can flat out get with it on the drums! I can't remember his name though.

With that said, James Hetfield of Metallica couldn't sing his way out of a paperbag! :-)

Killer of Giants

Postby MetalHead » Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:58 pm

PoetsandMadmen wrote:I believe an ex-Slayer drummer sits in for the first half of that show. If that's true, the dude can flat out get with it on the drums! I can't remember his name though.

Hmm, I think it was John Tempesta. Dunno if he played for Slayer though.
"Spend less time chasing tones and more time just playing music." - Marty Friedman

Postby Fretman » Tue Feb 07, 2006 7:35 pm

Slayer was definitely a pioneer in it's genre. While some of their lyrical content may be questionable and even humorous, they do have some excellent riffs and great drumwork. On the other hand their solos don't impress me at all, but are still probably more challenging than Kirk Hammet's solos. Every Megadeth player to pick up the guitar can play solos around Hanneman, King and Hammet.

All Access Member

Postby PoetsandMadmen » Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:42 am

MetalHead wrote:
PoetsandMadmen wrote:I believe an ex-Slayer drummer sits in for the first half of that show. If that's true, the dude can flat out get with it on the drums! I can't remember his name though.

Hmm, I think it was John Tempesta. Dunno if he played for Slayer though.

I believe you're right. I'm thinking of a guy named Paul Bostiff, I believe is his name. Regardless, John Tempesta is a very impressive drummer! At least he is on this new Testament DVD.

Killer of Giants

Postby MetalHead » Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:34 am

PoetsandMadmen wrote:I'm thinking of a guy named Paul Bostiff, I believe is his name.

Bostaph ;)

Yeah, Tempesta did indeed do some of the songs on the DVD,
but then .. enter ... Louie Clemente :)
"Spend less time chasing tones and more time just playing music." - Marty Friedman

Killer of Giants

Postby frethead » Wed Feb 08, 2006 11:36 am

I'm trying to get this, now . . . there are actually people out there who have listened to Metallica just to hear Hetfield sing??? OR Hammet tool around???

Killer of Giants

Postby MetalHead » Wed Feb 08, 2006 11:39 am

i haven't been any big fan of Metallica at all, 'cuz when I
first heard them they were doing their mellower metal.

Megadeth was a totally different thing.
They've maintained their anger and I'd
take Friedmans unorthodox playing before
Hammets boring, sloppy and bluesy playing any day :!:

All Access Member

Postby Shadow » Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:05 pm

I've obviously heard of both legendary Bands Megadeth and Metallica & their both extraodinary Hard Rockers yet I'm more familiar with METALLICA and do have a couple of their Cd's like Reload & the Garage, Inc. Cd (something like that..-it say's Garage Inc, it's a strange title) which is an hefty Rockin' Classic masterpiece of cover songs. I like it alot/I "also" like the songs Fuel, Master of Puppets, I Disappear etc.,. and Anyway I Roam (that's a monster masterpiece/bad ass, song!) is my favorite Metallica song of them all! Peace.

Killer of Giants

Postby johnthebrucelee » Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:12 pm

I don't listen to a lot of slayers, only some. I hate the solos, but cool riffs.

All Access Member

Postby PoetsandMadmen » Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:28 pm

MetalHead wrote:
PoetsandMadmen wrote:I'm thinking of a guy named Paul Bostiff, I believe is his name.

Bostaph ;)

Yeah, Tempesta did indeed do some of the songs on the DVD,
but then .. enter ... Louie Clemente :)

Hmmm...I like Louie for who he is and what he's done before, but I have to say he looked a little rusty following Tempesta.

Bostiff, Bostaph....I told you I wasn't a Slayer fan. :?

Killer of Giants

Postby MetalHead » Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:52 pm

PoetsandMadmen wrote:Hmmm...I like Louie for who he is and what he's done before, but I have to say he looked a little rusty following Tempesta.

I read somewhere that he hadn't played drums for 8 years(or even more)
so he had some catching up to do indeed :)

Jeopardy 1

All Access Member

Postby RandyRhoadsRules! » Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:42 am

You know what scares me
A guy who sings about eating Zombie p**** in the song necrophiliac is supposed to be seriously religious
yes it is true
Tom Araya singer of slayer is a VERY religious man and that i find very easy to believe for when he talks hes always calm and hes not like "666! OMFG SATAN I LOVE YOU". Hes more relaxed and hes supposed to be a great dad. I wonder what that must be like for his kids

"MY DADS IN SLAYER"

PreviousNext

Return to Free for all...