Europe - Live from the Dark DVD

Here we discuss topics unrelated to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

All Access Member

Europe - Live from the Dark DVD

Postby PoetsandMadmen » Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:13 am

Ok rock fans, Poets has yet another suggestion :!: :o If you like hard rock music at all, you've got to check out the brand new Europe live DVD called, Live from the Dark. It's a live concert spanning all of their releases to date performed at the Hammersmith in London, England.

I've watched it several times through now, and I've been blown away every time :!: I've always dismissed John Norum as a boring guitarist, because I was simply judging him from The Final Countdown album.....I was wrong :!: The guy is a fantastic guitarist :!: He adds SO MUCH to Europe's music live that you don't hear from him in the studio :!: I can't stress that enough.

As for the rest of the band, they look great and sound great! Joey Tempest proves what a great frontman he is as well as sounding great vocally. Ian Haugland has changed over the years, that's for sure! The guy must hit the weights a little more these days, but his drumming is impressive as well! Mic and John are a little more behind the scenes, but Europe's music wouldn't be as great without them.

One flaw to me is that the cameraman wasn't focusing on Mic while he was playing a short keyboard solo. He kept on changing back and forth between Joey and John Norum. I believe that part should be edited for us to be able to appreciate Mic's keyboard work :!:

The DVD is only available in PAL format right now, but it's being released in NTSC format at the end of this month. You can order it from the web site below.

www.cdinzane.com

The bottome line is, Europe's - Live from the Dark is well worth the money!

Killer of Giants

Re: Europe - Live from the Dark DVD

Postby stratattack » Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:12 am

Yah John Norum was the main song writer on Don Dokkens solo records and the Dokken CD he did as well.
he iis an underated guitar player he has a instruction DVD too that rocks but you cant get it anymore because as well all know Hot liks went belly up
The artist formally known as Brawler

Postby Fretman » Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:12 pm

I'll check it out.

Killer of Giants

Postby Rock » Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:49 pm

Fretman wrote:I'll check it out.

Yeh sounds like a good listen, i get excited when someone else gets excited. :lol:

All Access Member

Postby PoetsandMadmen » Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:42 am

Rock wrote:
Fretman wrote:I'll check it out.

Yeh sounds like a good listen, i get excited when someone else gets excited. :lol:

:lol:

Postby Bluesman » Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:05 am

Yeah, John Norum is a great guitarist. But Kee Marchello who replaced Norum in the 80´s is also an amazing player. His new band "K2" released a killer record last year. The guitarplaying on that record is just crazy, and the music great. Check it out!

All Access Member

Postby PoetsandMadmen » Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:25 am

I like Kee as well. Personally, I'm guilty of overlooking most of the Norum stuff, with the exception of the Final Countdown. That's why I'm so surprised about the DVD. John has just blown me away!

I'd like to check out some of the Norum solo stuff. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to start?

Postby Bluesman » Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:16 am

I think that "Face The Truth" with Glenn Huges on vocals is a good record. This is his second solo album, released in 92 and it´s very bluesy. The music sounds like Thin Lizzy/Whitesnake and there´s some nasty guitarplaying as well. His recent stuff is heavier and more "modern" sounding.

All Access Member

Postby PoetsandMadmen » Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:21 pm

Thanks, I'll check it out then.

All Access Member

Postby jimiforrest » Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:02 pm

John Norum's "Slipped Into Tomorrow" is a great CD. This is kind of an interesting thread as John Norum's wife (Michelle Meldrum-guitarist) was in Phantom Blue with Jake's significant other GiGi. John's "Face the Truth" album is very good also.

Jimi

All Access Member

Postby PoetsandMadmen » Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:40 am

jimiforrest wrote:John Norum's "Slipped Into Tomorrow" is a great CD. This is kind of an interesting thread as John Norum's wife (Michelle Meldrum-guitarist) was in Phantom Blue with Jake's significant other GiGi. John's "Face the Truth" album is very good also.

Jimi

Are John and Jake by any chance friends then?

Rock N' Roll Rebel

Postby sonicbrew73 » Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:58 pm

Cool, I'll have to check that DVD out. I got the new album 'Start from the Dark'. It's pretty good. John Norum is a great guitar player, and is definitely underrated. His solo albums are really good. Also, the material he wrote with Don Dokken is pretty good too.

Ultimate Sinner

Postby Demon_A_Go-Go » Fri Feb 17, 2006 3:20 pm

Hey Poets try out the last John Norum solo album Optimus 2005 .I have positive opinion about his new sound on this project it's heavier than "face the truth" and Slipped Into Tomorrow"
And I would like to ask you rock gurus Is that John Norum's voice in his solo albums except Glenn Hughes on Face the truth ? I suppose he is like John Sykes able to play and sing very well.

All Access Member

Postby jimiforrest » Fri Feb 17, 2006 4:14 pm

John Norum did the vocals on the non-Glenn tracks on Face the Truth. He did all the vox on "Slipped into Tomorrow". And he sang a couple of songs on his first solo cd "Total Control"...Goran Edman (Yngwie fame) sang the rest on that CD. Kelly Keeling sang on his CDs "Worlds Away" and "Another Destination". Oh...and John Norum was the guitar player on Dokken's "Long Way Home" CD. He also layed down guitar tracks for Dokken's "Dysfunctional" CD but they got George back at that time and he re-recorded all the guitars.

Jimi

All Access Member

Postby PoetsandMadmen » Sun Feb 19, 2006 10:58 am

I didn't know that about the Dysfunctional CD, that's interesting.

Return to Free for all...