my "Whitey" guitar......love this one :-)

Here we discuss topics related to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

my "Whitey" guitar......love this one :-)

Postby bobbyd » Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:44 am

my "Whitey" was an "employee built" Charvel guitar made in 1999, and was done as closely to the original as possible, but with an ebony board instead of a rosewood board. Alder body, pearl white paint, and all the proper hardware make this guitar pretty accurate. I have the plain black tuners on there now, but may put a set of Sperzel Trim-lok models with pearl buttons just for the finishing touch!

I love the sustain and tone from the string thru the body hard tail bridge, and the flamed maple neck is just beautiful. She's loaded with a Seymour JB in the bridge, and two Fender Custom Shop 69 pickups in neck and middle.

Charvel will never make one of these again, sadly. I feel very lucky to have this one! :D

enjoy some photos!

Re: my "Whitey" guitar......love this one :-)

Postby bobbyd » Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:26 pm

i love playing this guitar at gigs.

and many times, i will get Jake fans that recognize the guitar, and ask me about Jake.

it's very cool that so many people remember him, he made a BIG impression upon everyone in such a short time, and really did a great job replacing the great Randy Rhoads, without being a "copycat" of Randy.

I have listened to a lot of early Mickey Ratt and Rough Cutt stuff, as well as Badlands (my fave era) and the Retraced CD.

I hope Jake keeps playing music, but i totally understand if he wants to "drop out" of the music business. i have been in it for 30 years, and it's a nasty place at times.

my "Whitey" is a guitar that gets a lot of stage time at my gigs, and is one of the BEST sounding "superstrats" I have ever owned, i think because of the hard tail bridge instead of a tremolo.

All Access Member

Postby bernidb » Sat Oct 02, 2010 4:39 pm

It's a beautiful guitar, Bobbyd

I play a hard tail strat too and I know what you mean about the tone.
Too bad Fender doesn't produce more HTs

You hit the nail on the head about Jake: he made a huge impact in a really short time. Who else could have replaced Randy and really stood out without copying?

I love the fact that when Badlands came out Jake was like a different guitar player. He went from guitar gymnastics on Ultimate Sin to this blues rocker yet he still had killer chops. IMO Badlands totally got overlooked. They were a gem in a sea of hair metal cliches.

I hope 3 Day Crush turns into something substantial. Here's hoping.

Rock N' Roll Rebel

Postby kevinxdunk » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:30 am

May I ask about the pickup routing of your lovely whitey? is it a swimming pool?

Postby bobbyd » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:01 pm

kevinxdunk wrote:May I ask about the pickup routing of your lovely whitey? is it a swimming pool?

yes......it is the "swimming pool" route underneath the pickguard.

i like it like that, it gives the guitar a little bit more resonance acoustically.

the neck plays SO WELL. it is that classic Charvel Strathead early 80s feel, the "wide/flat" sort of profile.

i wish Charvel would make more like this one, but Jake said NO to any reissues of his classic "Whitey". so this one is the ONLY ONE that has been made.

the ESP models are cool, but i really like having the Charvel "Whitey".....and it's the most accurate replica of "Whitey" I have ever seen. I searched the web for weeks to see if there were any guitar that were as close as mine, but nothing came close.

I paid a lot for her, but i really think she was worth it. It's one of the best playing Charvels I have ever had, the hard tail bridge adds a lot of resonance and sustain, and the fretwork is PERFECT.

The only difference between my guitar and Jake's "Whitey" is that mine has an ebony fingerboard, and his had a rosewood board. But i really like ebony better, both as a tonewood and for the "look". This particular piece of ebony is known as Gaboon Ebony, and is is almost perfectly BLACK, with no grain lines, and is VERY tightly grained.

I have had a lot of people offer me some seriously NICE guitars in trade for this one, but nothing that was good enough to make me consider letting her go. It's one of a kind, and will never be made by Charvel ever again.

Postby bobbyd » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:05 pm

here she is at a GIG......i am not a collector, i am a fulltime gigging guy, and my guitars have to WORK :lol:

this guitar is fantastic at gigs, and i use it most of the time, unless i want a more "stratty" sound, so i will switch to my Fender Strat for those songs.

all of my Charvels and Jacksons over the years usually had floyd rose of kahler tremolos.....Charvel hard tails are VERY rare, as most guys wanted a tremolo. this guitar has made a BELIEVER out of me....

All Access Member

Postby tedeeoo » Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:11 pm

Man that is sweet, that is my dream strat-type guitar, hard-tail with an ebony board.

Rock N' Roll Rebel

Postby rustkill » Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:44 pm

very nice. wish I had this guitar.

how about you recording some badlands songs and post the videos on youtube and here!
if you do please dont do the songs everyone one else covers there are so many good songs from the 3 badlands albums. the river, healer, lord knows! and many others
most new music sucks and most of those new kid groups could never touch the music badlands did.
If i did not suck so bad at playing i would do it. but i am just a dreamer wantobee

anyway great guitar.
rustkill

Postby skezza » Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:55 am

Looks quality ;)

Wouldn't mind getting myself a Blueburst or Purpleburst. Got myself a whitey copy already :)
WWW.ULTIMATERHOADS.COM - Randy Rhoads Website!

Postby SRV43 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:37 am

:P That is fantastic my friend!!! Do you mind me asking what you paid for it???:lol:
bobbyd wrote:my "Whitey" was an "employee built" Charvel guitar made in 1999, and was done as closely to the original as possible, but with an ebony board instead of a rosewood board. Alder body, pearl white paint, and all the proper hardware make this guitar pretty accurate. I have the plain black tuners on there now, but may put a set of Sperzel Trim-lok models with pearl buttons just for the finishing touch!

I love the sustain and tone from the string thru the body hard tail bridge, and the flamed maple neck is just beautiful. She's loaded with a Seymour JB in the bridge, and two Fender Custom Shop 69 pickups in neck and middle.

Charvel will never make one of these again, sadly. I feel very lucky to have this one! :D

enjoy some photos!

:lol: :lol: :D

All Access Member

Postby Shadow » Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:06 pm

Beautiful solid looking Classic guitar. Take good care of it!

All Access Member

Postby markymarc1979 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:11 pm

Beautiful, stunning, gorgeous.......did I mention that's hot!

Killer of Giants

Postby Rock » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:09 am

Nice guitar mate, love to have a play, to see what it feels like

I have notice there are a few new ppl here. :) Hi all if I havnt met u guys yet :)

Killer of Giants

Postby MetalHead » Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:34 pm

you know, if you're interested in some SDS-1s like Jake used,
I have one for sale :)
"Spend less time chasing tones and more time just playing music." - Marty Friedman

Rock N' Roll Rebel

Postby torbjorn » Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:52 am

hi!

nice guitar! why don't you use sds-1s?

Return to All things Jake E Lee...