Jake E Disco

Here we discuss topics related to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

Secret Loser

Jake E Disco

Postby Fedaykin » Sun May 15, 2011 4:20 am

I had read interviews with Jake where he mentioned playing in some disco bands in the 70s because they made good money. Are there any recordings? What band or bands did he play in? Where they just party/bar mitzvah bands?
“My parents wanted me to be the next Van Cliburn, but I wanted to be the next Van Halen.”

All Access Member

Re: Jake E Disco

Postby macheted01 » Sun May 15, 2011 6:49 am

It seems like I may have read something about this before, but dont think there is anything out there. That must be where he developed his moves on stage.

All Access Member

Postby tedeeoo » Tue May 17, 2011 9:24 am

Yep, Jake said before he played in that band he didn't move much on stage or as he put it "I just kinda stayed in one place smoking a cigarrette looking cool like Joe Perry",lol!! He said in that disco band you had to move. Never heard of any recordings at all of that band, I'd love to hear some tapes of Teaser, I have heard they were great. Even guys like George Lynch and Craig Goldie have said that as well as many other great players. Craig Goldie said the first time he saw Jake in Teaser, it scared the shit out of him, he said he had never seen anyone play like that!!

Killer of Giants

Postby MrScary1971 » Tue May 17, 2011 1:11 pm

tedeeoo wrote:Yep, Jake said before he played in that band he didn't move much on stage or as he put it "I just kinda stayed in one place smoking a cigarrette looking cool like Joe Perry",lol!! He said in that disco band you had to move. Never heard of any recordings at all of that band, I'd love to hear some tapes of Teaser, I have heard they were great. Even guys like George Lynch and Craig Goldie have said that as well as many other great players. Craig Goldie said the first time he saw Jake in Teaser, it scared the shit out of him, he said he had never seen anyone play like that!!

George has always spoken highly of Jake and said he is the easily the best guitarist he has ever seen that did not resort to whammy bar tricks. He also said Bark At The Moon is a facemelting solo. George also likes Ronnie LeTekro of TNT and especially the solo of Between Two Tigers. Jake E Lee is the most underrated guitarist ever with Criss Oliva of Savatage 2nd imo.

All Access Member

Postby tedeeoo » Tue May 17, 2011 1:59 pm

Oh yeah!!! Ronnie Le Tekro, now there is another awesome guitar player!! His solo in 10,000 Lovers is my all-time favorite, great,great player!!

Killer of Giants

Postby Doobie » Wed May 18, 2011 10:46 am

MrScary1971 wrote:
tedeeoo wrote:Yep, Jake said before he played in that band he didn't move much on stage or as he put it "I just kinda stayed in one place smoking a cigarrette looking cool like Joe Perry",lol!! He said in that disco band you had to move. Never heard of any recordings at all of that band, I'd love to hear some tapes of Teaser, I have heard they were great. Even guys like George Lynch and Craig Goldie have said that as well as many other great players. Craig Goldie said the first time he saw Jake in Teaser, it scared the shit out of him, he said he had never seen anyone play like that!!

He also said Bark At The Moon is a facemelting solo.

Bark At The Moon is THE best solo ever IMO. Seriously. It gets better every time I hear it.

All Access Member

Postby Shadow » Wed May 18, 2011 4:08 pm

TEASER a Disco band, I don't think so...'they did not appear to be one howbeit I never heard their sound, so I could be wrong. Maybe they could of dappled in the Disco beat a little bit and there's nothing wrong with that, I love Disco too but Heavy Rock/Metal & Soul Jams are my favorites...'and Bayou Rock/Blues too. I can see Jake E. Lee playin' all for he diffinately has the Master-Guitar chops to cover all the music genres. JAKE's an awesome "Fine Pink Mist" musician and his music collage's are so mentioned above George Lynch, Craig Goldy, Joe Perry, etc.,. have alot of strengths, too. Their all unique and different in music styles and techniques. Much respects.

All Access Member

Postby tedeeoo » Wed May 18, 2011 7:54 pm

Teaser was not a disco band, but Jake was in a disco band at one point.

All Access Member

Postby dave1021 » Wed May 18, 2011 8:05 pm

It make perfect sense ya'll. I currently play in a cover band. You really can't play in Dayton as an all original band. Well... you can but you'll play on odd days, for NOBODY, and you won't make any money. So the trick is, you play as a cover band, get people into you, your band, and then start working toward originals and bring "your crowd" along with you.
It's easy to see Jake playing disco, playing for good, paying, crowds, and hopefully getting some of those people to come see his rock band.
That's what we call paying your dues. It sucks ( I'd rather play MY tunes ) but covers get me playing in clubs, for crowds, and making a LITTLE money. ( To pay for strings and such ).
My take on Jake playing disco.
Dave.
...And somebody said Fair Warning, Lord strike that poor boy down. Turned from hunted into hunter, went to hunt somebody down.--Van Halen

Secret Loser

Postby Fedaykin » Mon May 23, 2011 4:12 am

Hey, this started as a thread about Jake playing in disco bands and, wonderfully enough, someone mentions the great Ronnie Le Tekro. I'm glad to hear people remember him. He is a truly amazing player, and not just his style but his tone. There are too many forgettable guitar players, but Le Tekro is a remarkable talent. Of course, Jake is my favorite of all time. Just when you think you've heard it all, Jake always has a new trick up his sleeve. Players like Jake and Ronnie and Lynch come from a time when the term guitar hero did not bring to mind a video game. When to be a guitar hero you really had to work at it! I remember the L.A. scene in the 80s where every guitarist was trying to demolish each other. Now that was fun. A guitarist could make or break a band in those days. Besides the talent of the band, the music of Racer X was not all that special. But seeing them live at the Country Club in '88 was like seeing gods in human form. What a show that was! But what we like about Jake is that there is a melody and a thoughtfulness to his playing that stand the test of time.
“My parents wanted me to be the next Van Cliburn, but I wanted to be the next Van Halen.”

Killer of Giants

Postby Rock » Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:57 pm

Hahaha Fedaykin, your a funny dude hahaha :)

Return to All things Jake E Lee...