any advise or suggestions welcome

Here we discuss topics unrelated to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

All Access Member

any advise or suggestions welcome

Postby Kathy » Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:20 am

This past Jan I was dog bit. I'm right handed and I was bit on my left index and ring finger. The ring finger is ok but my index fixer is screwed up. I have very little non painful flexablity between the base of my finger and the first joint and the first joint and 2nd joint is sore when I put pressure on it. Can anyone recomend any strings for a acoustic that may help. I've check the action and it is fine. If I had the action lowered how much will that effect the sound. Or should I leave the action alone and try different strings? Or both? Like a c Courd is out F is out...Any way around this using different finger techs? Any advise for finger problems?
Thank you for any suggestions.

All Access Member

Re: any advise or suggestions welcome

Postby macheted01 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:02 am

You could see about lowering the action abit on the acoustic. I have had all my acoustics set up to play as close to an electric as they can be. They are just not as forgiving and it not the easy if you want to bring the action back up, but see about bringing them down a little. Some guys like the action so low that it creates too much fret buzz for me. I like the action just above this and maybe a touch more. You could also try a lighter set of strings. I believe most acoustics are usually strung with 12's. If this is the case, try 11's. If you go any smaller in gage, the acoustic just does not sound as bright to me, but that is just my opinion. They make acoustic strings even lighter, so whatever is best for you, but just experiment some though.
Also, try a capo for changing up the chords. I used to do this for them c's and f's, to wear it would allow me to play more open chords.

All Access Member

Postby Kathy » Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:49 pm

macheted01 wrote:You could see about lowering the action abit on the acoustic. I have had all my acoustics set up to play as close to an electric as they can be. They are just not as forgiving and it not the easy if you want to bring the action back up, but see about bringing them down a little. Some guys like the action so low that it creates too much fret buzz for me. I like the action just above this and maybe a touch more. You could also try a lighter set of strings. I believe most acoustics are usually strung with 12's. If this is the case, try 11's. If you go any smaller in gage, the acoustic just does not sound as bright to me, but that is just my opinion. They make acoustic strings even lighter, so whatever is best for you, but just experiment some though.
Also, try a capo for changing up the chords. I used to do this for them c's and f's, to wear it would allow me to play more open chords.

Thank you, That is some great advise..with a lot of choices...I haven't even tried to play my electric since I was bitten... Thank you again :D

All Access Member

Postby Kathy » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:08 am

Well, I took my acoustic into a guitar shop the other day to see about new strings,action setting ect. My Marshall needed a new switch so I took it too. Iwas carring the amp in and dropped it. I caught it on my foot. Man,did that hurt!! but, I couldn't let that Marshall be injuried so I took the pain. I left the amp never did take the Fender acoustic in I was is too much pain. The Marshall is fine was fixed and back safely home. But the whole top of my foot is blue and sore...I can walk on it but it's so sore. Anyone else risk themselves to save their fav music outlet? :cry:

All Access Member

Postby Kathy » Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:05 am

I didnt want to start a new thread..so I was wondering if anyone here has ever had to play left handed. Im right handed and I hurt then tendons in my indext finger on my left hand...I cant get it to arch enough Ive tried everything but the fret keeps farting out on me...so I thought Id try it left handed :? ...any advise..I've been playing for 30 years...I know I'll have to relearn everything I know...anyone else? and any suggestions or advise would greatly be appricated :)

Secret Loser

Postby Sunrise » Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:26 pm

Learning left hand to bring you to your current technical skill would take years. Unless your finger is broken or dislocated then all you need to do is be patient to bring the muscles up to their previous strength. If your in actual pain when pressing down the strings then you need to seek medical advice as its unusual that your finger should be so painful. It might suggest nerve damage especially if your finger is feeling numb or 'dead' to the touch. There are excercises you can do to help build up the strength in your finger but you might need the doctors advice on this or a physiotherapist to examine you to determine whats required. If the bite only happened a few days ago then your still healing. Until you have healed some more and got some advice I would lay off the guitar as putting too much pressure on damaged muscles could make things worse.

All Access Member

Postby Kathy » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:34 pm

It happened about a year ago..trying to get the finger to arch is very painful..I did go to the dr had to take medication for infection my finger swelled between the nuckel and the first joint is where the puncture wound is and between the 1st and 2nd joints -that is where the major pain is... and I did have a slight wound on my middle finger but it healed ok...might have to go back to the piano..you have to arch but not as much...God I loved playing that guitar...I think I will go back to the dr and see if anything else can be done...if Jake can cut the tip of his finger off and play a show using a slide there is hope I can rig something up too. I dont play for a living just for me....thank you for the help :) ...what is really strange I keep wanting to "pop" that nuckle :?

Secret Loser

Postby Sunrise » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:57 am

You need to see the doctor, the fact you are in such pain after a year suggests that the problem needs an ex-ray to find. Good luck and tell us how you get on.

All Access Member

Postby Kathy » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:32 pm

Thank you ..will do.. Im going to try the capo again..I dont think I've used it right ...I can order a DVD with correct instructions...so I'll learn up and try it again... :D

All Access Member

Postby Shadow » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:11 pm

I agree take Sunrise advice (see the Doctor about your hand) and hope there's not much damage to the nerves KATHY. Take care and I bet w/time you be trailblazer like the legendary Ninja-Masters guitarists of old. smile. :P

All Access Member

Postby Kathy » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:04 am

Thank you Shadow..I'll see the doc

All Access Member

Postby Shadow » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:15 pm

Kathy wrote:Thank you Shadow..I'll see the doc

That's good to hear and hope all goes well: take care. :D

Return to Free for all...