Jake's Guitar Rig

Here we discuss topics related to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

All Access Member

Jake's Guitar Rig

Postby macheted01 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:24 am

Judging by what I have been seeing, Jake seems to be favoring the Junior guitars with P90's into Orange amplification. Kinda cool. I am guessing that these guitars are his main squeeze currrently. I have a Reverend Sensai Jr. with a P90 that totally nails that Badlands tone.

All Access Member

Re: Jake's Guitar Rig

Postby macheted01 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:28 am

Was just looking at his Gear Specs section and it seems he uses a Melody Maker during his work on Retraced. This I guess, has been his weapon of choice for some time.

Killer of Giants

Postby sytharnia » Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:12 pm

I remember him saying around 1986 his SG junior (the one in the lightning strikes vid) was his favourite but he would take it on the road because it was fragile and he didn't want it damaged.....it had a p90

All Access Member

Postby macheted01 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:27 pm

Yeah, that SG is a beauty. I was looking through all the Vegas videos that are up on Youtube and it is the same amp in all of them. It is the Orange OR50 amp head. Appears to be some unmatched 4x12 cab. Looks to be an egnater cab, but hard to tell. I did see a matching Orange 4x12 in one though. Pretty straight forward amp. Like my friend says that I jam with, "sometimes less is more".

All Access Member

Postby tedeeoo » Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:35 pm

Actually really dig Jake's tone through that Orange (the little bit I've heard).

Killer of Giants

Postby sytharnia » Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:10 pm

they are great sounding amps ....but are way to loud :lol: :lol:

All Access Member

Postby Richard » Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:02 am

The 4x12 cab is a Bogner & guitar strap is a LEVY Strap . :D :D

Killer of Giants

Postby MetalHead » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:20 am

Richard wrote:The 4x12 cab is a Bogner & guitar strap is a LEVY Strap . :D :D

will the strap give good tone? 8)
"Spend less time chasing tones and more time just playing music." - Marty Friedman

All Access Member

Postby Richard » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:13 am

what do you think ??? :roll: :roll: :roll:

Postby drzepper » Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:26 pm

macheted01 wrote:Judging by what I have been seeing, Jake seems to be favoring the Junior guitars with P90's into Orange amplification. Kinda cool. I am guessing that these guitars are his main squeeze currrently. I have a Reverend Sensai Jr. with a P90 that totally nails that Badlands tone.

I really dig the direction of Jake's tone. Very vintage, very Jake. The Orange is definitely the right amp, and the Gibsons with P90s are the right guitars. In the 80s most shredders were playing strat style guitars, in part because they were ergonomic on stage with all those wild acrobatics, but now that Jake has settled into playing exactly what he wants to, the focus is on tone and playability. I can't wait to hear his next album. He still has a lot of style. I've tried P90s and for me they growl a bit too much, but I am a big fan of the Duncan Pearly Gates, which were designed for Billy Gibbons. I find that the Gibson tone is the richest tone. Although you can get these tones out of strat style guitars, they are never as full bodied as they are from Gibson style set neck guitars. I also like the Guild SG knock-off which Kim Thayil from Soundgarden uses. They are hard to find nowadays.

All Access Member

Postby Shadow » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:19 pm

Yeah, JAKE has some really amazing instruments and music-gear stuff, those guitar-pedals that's designed by Dean Solo/I believe...'are pretty cool & suited for the Rebel guitar musician. Awesome guitars, pedals and himself..'that makes the music come alive. 8)

Rock N' Roll Rebel

Postby LinFilouX » Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:32 am

Perhaps using p90 dispenses unsing to boss OD1 with basicaly cuts bass ( as most overdrives ), add harmonics ( from the distortion in the OD ), compresses a little and cut highs also.

The P90 is in the same vein without pedals :

- Less lows than the humbuker
- More harmonics since it is single coil
- Less highs than single coils ( strat )
- Cleans nice

All thant makes P90 take very well even big doses of gain. That's why the P90 is all the rage know.

Check out PhilX ans Sugizo ( from Luna Sea ); they both crave for P90's

Sugizos go to guitar is similar to Jake Yellow ESP hybrid with 2 P90's, only the neck PU is a "staple alnico V" found in the les paul customs (a P90 variant)

All Access Member

Postby macheted01 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:54 pm

Cool take and info on the P90. While I have a guitar loaded with one and dig playing it, I could not of broke it down for you like that.

Return to All things Jake E Lee...