Dusk

Here we discuss topics related to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

All Access Member

Dusk

Postby macheted01 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:28 am

So, awhile ago, I gave my drummer a copy of all the Badlands stuff. While I ahve always had Dusk in my collection, I never really gave it too many listens. I stopped over to my drummers place the other day during his garage sale and he was jamming to Dusk. I walked in during a Jake up bit of a tune and imediately knew what he was listening to. In any case, I sat there and bullshit with him for about a half hour while listening to this, and feel I have missed out on not listening to this enough. Today, I will dig this cd out and give it a few spins. Lately, I have been into listening to Vanilla Fudge and Cactus and some other projects that Carmine Appice and Tim Bogert have done together. One with Paul Shortino on vocals. Am thinking Jake needs to get into the mix with these guys.

All Access Member

Re: Dusk

Postby Shadow » Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:54 pm

For a certain Rebel musician Jake E. Lee would do outta-sight w/this talented band of Classic musicians so mentioned above: and his always admired the bands CACTUS and VANILLA Fudge in whom he payed homage respects to in his Solo albums & Tributes. I think he/they Jake, Carmine A., Paul (awesome Vocal range) Mr. Bogert would be an mighty unit. They earned their Classic Heavy groove(s) with flying colors long ago! 8)

All Access Member

Postby macheted01 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:15 am

So, yeah, I did not pull Dusk out as soon as I thought I would. Have been listening to it the last few days. This effort is probably more rippin then the first couple. While there is no tracks that ever hit the mainstream, this is bad ass. I guess the recording of this took place in one shot. I dont know how much of it has been polished in the studio, but this just shows the talent that these guys had. Probably Chaisson's best work. The bass is right out front on this recording as it should be with his playing here. He is really workin. While Badlands has always been underated, so has this release. I cant get enough of it. It has also pushed me into digging into Ray's pre-release stuff with Sabbath and solo work. So cant wait to hear what Jake breaks out for us in the near future. If you dont have Dusk in your collection, you need to get it. With everything today that is so polished and compressed in the studio's, I am over all that. I have been favoring more raw tones and it is here.

Ultimate Sinner

Postby LouZ » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:36 am

There's an interview with Jeff Martin and he states the recording of Dusk took about 8 hours total. No redo's and no overdubs.

This album shows just how amazing they were. Jake never misses a single note. Ray's voice is amazing. In fact, some of the lyrics weren't finished, yet he "jib-a-jabbed" his way thru the unfinished melodies (this is a term Ray used for that).

And yeah, the rhythm work of Greg Chaisson and Jeff Martin were awesome too. For my money, I would say 'Dusk' was their best album
I heard 'Purple Haze' on the radio and ...... it made the hairs on the back of my neck stood up

Killer of Giants

Postby dixiefix » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:20 pm

macheted01 wrote:So, yeah, I did not pull Dusk out as soon as I thought I would. Have been listening to it the last few days. This effort is probably more rippin then the first couple. While there is no tracks that ever hit the mainstream, this is bad ass. I guess the recording of this took place in one shot. I dont know how much of it has been polished in the studio, .

http://www.racerxband.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=5707
Jeff Martin writes: Almost every song was one-take recordings. I remember having floor Tom mic problems where we stopped to fix it, then restarted a song. But all in all, one takes. Even some endings were a little funky on my end, but Jake just flagged it off and we go to the next tune. I think Jake is the only one who did not make one mistake...if he did I did not hear it....
------------------+-------------------
sorry peeps !!!! -i am a truth digger
Please dont mind,eh ? .....
------------------+-------------------

All Access Member

Postby macheted01 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:19 pm

Hey, thanks for chiming in and confirming this you guys. That is completely awsome. How many bands out there, can do this these days? Not too many, I would guess.

Killer of Giants

Postby sytharnia » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:20 pm

the sad thing is the "album" was done as a demo to give to the record company who heard it and dropped them. In the break up interview rays says he didn't like a lot of the songs and they need to work on more "killer" ones and jake said nah its done...personally I agree with ray. The last half of the album is pretty hard for me to listen to because I find the songs a bit weak and generic

All Access Member

Postby macheted01 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:47 am

Maybe lyrically they are, but I could not tell you that for sure, since I dont listen to the words. I am just listening to the guitars and its blazing. Plus, for a group of guys to get togehter and record this in 8 hours, without punching in and out of the recording to maybe fix any flaws is amazing. Ray, was maybe not happy with his vocal work. As I said earlier, I thought it was good enough to check out his earlier stuff.

Secret Loser

Postby Sunrise » Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:40 pm

Dusk is a brilliant album, i've played mine to death. Nothing wrong with it at all and for the record company to hear it and drop them sums up record companies for me.

All Access Member

Postby Kathy » Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:33 pm

Sunrise wrote:Dusk is a brilliant album, i've played mine to death. Nothing wrong with it at all and for the record company to hear it and drop them sums up record companies for me.

Dusk is a great album...and the record companies do suck...but how else are artist going to get their music heard....besides down loads and of course utube....they can tour but that is so expensive ...so I guess they are evil but useful if the artist is careful not to get screwed....unless a artist has money already ...I asume it would be hard for a normal group to make a decent living with out some sort of backing money

Killer of Giants

Postby sytharnia » Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:18 pm

Kathy wrote:
Dusk is a great album...and the record companies do suck...but how else are artist going to get their music heard....besides down loads and of course utube....they can tour but that is so expensive ...so I guess they are evil but useful if the artist is careful not to get screwed....unless a artist has money already ...I asume it would be hard for a normal group to make a decent living with out some sort of backing money

record labels make artist almost zero money these days (in fact I doubt they will even exist in 10yrs time....well not in their current form anyway) and it has never been easier to get your songs heard because of the internet...doesn't mean its easier to make it though. Bands make all there money from touring and merch (like shirts and all that crap)...why do you think concert tickets have gone up 200% - 400% in recent years

as far as duck goes "healer" "sun red sun" and "the river" are 3 of my favourite badlands songs but I just find by the time I get to "dog" and "fat cat" i'm pretty over it

Killer of Giants

Postby Doobie » Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:29 am

sytharnia wrote:
Kathy wrote:

as far as duck goes "healer" "sun red sun" and "the river" are 3 of my favourite badlands songs but I just find by the time I get to "dog" and "fat cat" i'm pretty over it

Dogs is one of the best tracks on that CD, if not the best, IMO.

Killer of Giants

Postby sytharnia » Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:10 pm

have just listen to the album now again and I think dog and fat cat are the only songs I actually don't like :lol: .......I have never liked how the vocals and guitars copy each other in dog, its one of those things that has always annoyed me when any band does it (ironman is in the same boat)

Killer of Giants

Postby Doobie » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:22 am

sytharnia wrote:have just listen to the album now again and I think dog and fat cat are the only songs I actually don't like :lol: .......I have never liked how the vocals and guitars copy each other in dog, its one of those things that has always annoyed me when any band does it (ironman is in the same boat)

I couldn't disagree more with that statement.

Killer of Giants

Postby sytharnia » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:05 pm

Doobie wrote:
sytharnia wrote:have just listen to the album now again and I think dog and fat cat are the only songs I actually don't like :lol: .......I have never liked how the vocals and guitars copy each other in dog, its one of those things that has always annoyed me when any band does it (ironman is in the same boat)

I couldn't disagree more with that statement.

so you disagree that I don't like vocals and guitars following each other :?: and you disagree that I don't like dog and fat cat :?: ....so what do I like :?: help me out :wink:

Next

Return to All things Jake E Lee...