Kingdom Come

Here we discuss topics unrelated to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

All Access Member

Kingdom Come

Postby PoetsandMadmen » Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:26 pm

What are your thoughts and experiences with this band?

They're one of those bands I overlooked back in the day, so I'm sorta exploring their catalog some.

All Access Member

Re: Kingdom Come

Postby Gutterflower » Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:30 pm

I remember hearing their big hit Get It On on the radio, and there were lots of Zep comparisons. One dj called it 'the best single that Zeppelin never released!" I don't know about that, but the song had a good hook and they played it alot. I won the cassette along with a bunch of other stuff from a radio station, because I correctly named all 5 bands that Eric Clapton was in. :D

In 1988, I saw them play on the Monsters of Rock tour. It was Kingdom Come, Metallica, Dokken, Scorpions and Van Halen. They were just alright live-nothing earth shattering. I think they barely lasted two albums together. And I was always under the impression that the lead singer, Lenny Wolf, was an arrogant jerk. I think he had his own separate tour bus or something like that.

Postby BlacknGold » Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:45 pm

Never saw them live but I still have two cassettes of theirs around here somewhere(a gift from a woman I wish I'd never met).

I think the Zeppelin comparisons are legitimate, they sounded too similar for it to be accidental. I can't remember if I read it or if I saw an interview with Jake where he laments about Badlands being compared to Kingdom Come and then to Led Zeppelin by proxy.

Danny Stagg seemed to have some potential. It's unfortunate that he has never done anything more original. Every once in a while I'll run across a blues/rock VHS instructional tape that he did at some point.

All Access Member

Postby Charvelised » Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:32 am

The first album "Kingdom Come" was Amazing Very Zep..Lenny wolf does sound so much like MR Plant..however Lenny was in a band called Stone Fury..which too sounded like "Percy" Plant...
I saw them Live...Excellent!
once at a signing for a Robert Plant CD.. someone give him a Kingdom come cd to sign....and laughingly he did!...Decent Chap!

All Access Member

Postby PoetsandMadmen » Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:22 am

I found their debut the other day, hence why I'm asking about them. Anyway, as far as their sound, I really like it, but it's blantant Zepplin esque! There's no denying that whatsoever!

I still like Bonham better though, which is another Zepplin-esque band.

Killer of Giants

Postby stratattack » Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:16 am

yah there second effoert didnt sound like Zepplin though that one sounded like greatwhite LOL!!!!!! thats why they didnt last long
The artist formally known as Brawler

Killer of Giants

Postby mrmetal » Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:19 am

I have two albums and saw them live in 88. Great live band. On the Zep note, they admitted that they were a Zeppelin rip off and were not shy about saying that. I read in an interview and the attitude was basically, yeah, we know we sound like Zeppelin, so what? :D

Oasis and Jet rip off the Beatles, they just don't admit.

Killer of Giants

Postby stratattack » Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:31 am

yah thats one thing you can say about them they never hid that fact as for Oasis those guyes were so freekin overrated.
The artist formally known as Brawler

All Access Member

Postby PoetsandMadmen » Thu Feb 23, 2006 3:18 pm

KC is still together, but no original members except for Lenny Wolf. Does anyone know what their current stuff sounds like?

Postby Fretman » Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:10 pm

I saw them in '88 as well...same Monsters Of Rock tour. They were the first band of the day and the place was still filling up after their set was done. They sound like a Zep tribute band to me. I guess if you're going to try and sound like someone Zep ain't a bad choice.

All Access Member

Postby PoetsandMadmen » Fri Feb 24, 2006 6:11 am

Fretman wrote:I saw them in '88 as well...same Monsters Of Rock tour. They were the first band of the day and the place was still filling up after their set was done. They sound like a Zep tribute band to me. I guess if you're going to try and sound like someone Zep ain't a bad choice.

Very true! I wish that I had been able to check out those Monsters of Rock Tours back in the day. :cry:

I have a Dream Theater DVD that shows them playing in Athens, Greece along with Pantera, Deep Purple, and Van Halen! I couldn't believe it! Apparently, the Monsters of Rock played overseas as well at some point.

Killer of Giants

Postby frethead » Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:02 am

O yeah! I remember hearing that song out of them. I thought they sounded pretty damn good, through the Bose system in my '88 GTA (in '88), for a band playing with a sound that sounds like a band that, surely, countless hundreds, or even thousands of bands have wanted to sound like. Like, whaa, dude.
Holy good mother of . . . did I say that out loud?!! I remember how, for a couple two or three years in the eighties, some sort-of collective musical conscience was channeling it's attention toward the promise of a ballbusting renaissance for the late, great Led Zeppelin's music in the form of a band which sounded more like Led Zep than any other, and were destined to carry the torch of Americanized British Rock deep into the remaining future. ROTFCMRLMAO O, I crack my self up!

Killer of Giants

Postby Rock » Sun Feb 26, 2006 1:48 am

I like em, I got in to them when they brought out "get it on" and
'living out of touch" bought the album, i have about 3 of them. In your face, Independant and self titled one. Kingdom come, the album is still mt personal fave. :)

All Access Member

Postby PoetsandMadmen » Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:51 am

Rock wrote:I like em, I got in to them when they brought out "get it on" and
'living out of touch" bought the album, i have about 3 of them. In your face, Independant and self titled one. Kingdom come, the album is still mt personal fave. :)

I think that's the consensus among fans that the s/t album is the best.

Return to Free for all...