Was Jake In Dio when Bain and Appice were?

Here we discuss topics related to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

All Access Member

Re: Was Jake In Dio when Bain and Appice were?

Postby Stargazer » Fri Feb 24, 2006 2:04 am

mrmetal wrote:I didn't mean the LA scene, I meant that sound. Rowan didn't have that sound as you pointed out. Doug may have been in and from that scene, but his playing doesn't reflect it. Plus, he is talented enough to sound however he wants.

Rowan played the solos pretty much note for note when I saw them way back then. He was awesome.

I have nothing but respect for Warren's playing but when I heard he joined Dio I wasn't thrilled to hear that and I didn't think it would work. Two weeks later Dio had Goldy back.

Back when Doug was in Lion and Hurricane he was more influenced by Eddie Van Halen and George Lynch.

All Access Member

Postby PoetsandMadmen » Fri Feb 24, 2006 6:19 am

Stargazer wrote:
mrmetal wrote:I don't think it would have worked musically. Well, face it, it didn't when Dio tried.

I attribute that mostly to Dio working with Europeans and having a European influence in his music. Hence, Vivian got that gig.

It is probably the same reason DiMartini didn't work in Dio. That LA metal sound just wouldn't work for him. That and Warren wouldn't (or couldn't depending on who you believe) learn the songs right.

Well i don't think it was because of the LA metal scene. Doug Aldrich has been with 2 Dio twice now and he is from the same scene as Jake and Warren. I'm sure Warren could learn the songs I can play Vivian, Craig, Tracy and Doug's stuff and Warren is better than I am. Rowan's stuff is very difficult though. Craig Goldy is also from the L.A. scene but he has more of a european/neo classical/Blackmore style than Doug, Jake or Warren. Vivian actually sounded more like many guys on the L.A. metal scene than Craig does. I always thought Randy Rhoads and Ronnie James Dio would be the ultimate combination.

PoetsandMadmen wrote:
mrmetal wrote:I don't think it would have worked musically. Well, face it, it didn't when Dio tried.

I attribute that mostly to Dio working with Europeans and having a European influence in his music. Hence, Vivian got that gig.

It is probably the same reason DiMartini didn't work in Dio. That LA metal sound just wouldn't work for him. That and Warren wouldn't (or couldn't depending on who you believe) learn the songs right.

Do you think that's what happened with Rowan Robertson? Why did he only play on one album?

Actually, I've read where Rowan was from England I believe.

Rowan is from England. I've spoken with Rowan many times. He's an incredible player. His style was more of a mix of Steve Vai, Randy Rhoads and Vivian Campbell than the L.A. style. Rowan was only 16 when he was hired for Dio too! rowan only played on 1 album because Ronnie put Dio on hold to rejoin Black Sabbath in 1991 while they were writing a follow up to Lock Up the Wolves. When Ronnie reformed Dio in late 1992 Rowan was already working with Oni logan who he met through Wendy Dio. Ronnie than decided to hire Tracy G who had played in WWIII with Jimmy Bain and Vinny Appice.

Thanks for the input, but do you have any idea what Rowan is doing now? It's a shame for someone to be that talented and not be heard!

Killer of Giants

Postby stratattack » Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:54 am

thats one thing you can say about RJD is he knows how to find the talent
The artist formally known as Brawler

All Access Member

Postby Stargazer » Sun Mar 05, 2006 2:18 pm

PoetsandMadmen wrote:
Stargazer wrote:

Well i don't think it was because of the LA metal scene. Doug Aldrich has been with 2 Dio twice now and he is from the same scene as Jake and Warren. I'm sure Warren could learn the songs I can play Vivian, Craig, Tracy and Doug's stuff and Warren is better than I am. Rowan's stuff is very difficult though. Craig Goldy is also from the L.A. scene but he has more of a european/neo classical/Blackmore style than Doug, Jake or Warren. Vivian actually sounded more like many guys on the L.A. metal scene than Craig does. I always thought Randy Rhoads and Ronnie James Dio would be the ultimate combination.

PoetsandMadmen wrote:

Do you think that's what happened with Rowan Robertson? Why did he only play on one album?

Actually, I've read where Rowan was from England I believe.

Rowan is from England. I've spoken with Rowan many times. He's an incredible player. His style was more of a mix of Steve Vai, Randy Rhoads and Vivian Campbell than the L.A. style. Rowan was only 16 when he was hired for Dio too! rowan only played on 1 album because Ronnie put Dio on hold to rejoin Black Sabbath in 1991 while they were writing a follow up to Lock Up the Wolves. When Ronnie reformed Dio in late 1992 Rowan was already working with Oni logan who he met through Wendy Dio. Ronnie than decided to hire Tracy G who had played in WWIII with Jimmy Bain and Vinny Appice.

Thanks for the input, but do you have any idea what Rowan is doing now? It's a shame for someone to be that talented and not be heard!

Rowan is putting a band togethor with Altaria bassist Marko Pukilla.

All Access Member

Postby PoetsandMadmen » Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:47 pm

I logged onto Rowan's website, but it seems to be down for one reason or the other. It would be cool to see such a great guitarist out on the scene again.

Killer of Giants

Postby MetalHead » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:42 am

I would've liked to see Jake pull off 'Holy Diver' or 'Rainbow in the dark' ;) 8)
"Spend less time chasing tones and more time just playing music." - Marty Friedman

All Access Member

Postby macheted01 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:24 am

Wow, here is one pulled up from the ashes. Thanks, MetalHead for reviving this thread. Interesting, reading the thoughts of people back then, before Dio's passing. I remember hearing of Jake's stint with Dio, would have been interesting to see where it would of went, but I get where he might have not been so interested in colaberating.
While, these days, I am less interested in music like this lyrically, back then Holy Diver and The Last In Line were played by me heavily and stilll are for that matter, but lyrically grew old over time with the future releases. Dio wrote everything pretty much back then. Vivian just put his stamp on it and I love what he did and still is another of my favorite guitarists. I really dont pay much attention to what is being said in alot of music though, through the lyrics, it has always been the music itself. Rowan was a badass as well, and remember hearing the guys of TMS talking about him briefly.
Anyways, cool read.

Previous

Return to All things Jake E Lee...