Other bands that sound like Badlands?

Here we discuss topics related to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

Secret Loser

Re: Other bands that sound like Badlands?

Postby Sunrise » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:33 am

Nobody menationed The Black Keys for a heavy blues rock 70s vibe.

All Access Member

Postby macheted01 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:35 pm

I previewed the Rival Sons. While there was some interesting moments, it missed the mark for me. The Black Keys are ok and seem to have alot of momentum right now, but not quite comparable. I still am listening to and enjoying King Karma though. Cant thankyou enough for that tip.
King Karma, Voodooland and Jakes stuff all inspire me to want to play. Wish I could find others that are comparable. I'm sure there are, but these are what we have came up with so far. I know it is not the same for all others ears and those who dont play would not understand. I am just an average player at the most and no offense to those who dont play. It does not mean what you hear is not good, it is just a taste thing.

Secret Loser

Postby Sunrise » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:58 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbDIVIpXxAs

These girls are good, sexy as hell and play up a storm,

All Access Member

Postby Charvelised » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:25 pm

Glad You are Enjoying King Karma...Shaun (The Singer) was In Serval bands That Were Similar...
I didn't Mention Sanakes in Paradise... Although these are more Early Whitesnake there are Badlands Mention ( Dreams in the Dark Sounding)
Garden of Eden album is Best!

All Access Member

Postby Charvelised » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:27 pm

Thats Snakes in Paradise..I tripped on the s"A"..nake

All Access Member

Postby Kathy » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:23 pm

Check out "Deep Black Led" 8)

All Access Member

Postby Kathy » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:27 pm

Kathy wrote:Check out "Deep Black Led" 8)

I can't find them on you-tube..they have a Facebook page and album coming out this year

Rock N' Roll Rebel

Postby saltpeanuts » Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:55 pm

Actually surprised no one has said Black Country Communion yet. Their second CD is excellent funky bluesy hard rock. Glenn Hughes, Joe Bonnamassa, Jason Bonham and Derek Sherinian. Slightly different vibe, and frankly once you've heard Badlands it is truly hard to compare anyone to it.

The irony is that Joe Bonamassa is considered one of the greatest current blues rock guitarists, yet his electric chops seem kind of bland next to Jake.

All Access Member

Postby macheted01 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:58 am

I dig Joe. I have been following his work for a few years now, in and out of BCC. BCC is cool. I favored their third release for some reason. Most did not. Its a little on the lighter side. Also said, that Joe did the least amount of work on. I wish with BCC, they would of had Joe's vocals chime in more frequently. Joe has been a busy guy. Looking forward to his acoustic live release.

All Access Member

Postby macheted01 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:14 am

In my search for something similar. I stumbled onto this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5s-Anco9jmM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qBX83Z2IRI

The band is called Manic Eden. Came out in 94. Adrian Vandenburgh, Rudy Sarzo, Tommy Aldridge and singer Ron Young from Little Ceasar. Real Hendrix like, but raw and in your face none the less. These are just a couple tunes I listened to on youtube. Ordered the cd on ebay. I can let you know how the rest sounds when I get it. I think there are some more tunes available to listen to on youtube as well.

Postby drzepper » Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:44 pm

While there have been a lot of bands with a sound like Badlands, I have to say Badlands have a sound that was very much their own. I think their first two albums are wonderful. I remember going totally nuts for the first album. I played it for all my friends, especially guitar players. Not only is Jake's playing totally stand-out on that album, but Eric's drumming is great, as is Chaisson's bass playing. Chaisson plays the way bass should be played, that is, with his fingers rather than relying on a pic. I think it is fine to play with a pick at times, but there is a special feel when it is played with fingers as Chaisson and Sarzo demonstrate. Chaisson lays down an awesome bassline, and if you've seen Badlands live, he can really solo. Ray was a super frontman, and unfortunately he's one of the great forgotten frontmen of rock. I always wanted to hear Jake play with Phil Mogg of UFO. That would be one awesome combo. What was wonderful about Badlands was that listening to them you could forget the 80s ever happened. While so many of us are sentimental about the 80s, don't forget that it was not considered the greatest time in rock for those who grew up in the 60s and 70s. Jake was really influenced by the freestyling soulful playing of the 70s, which did not fit into the hit single world of the 80s which he had to work in with Ozzy in the 80s. With Badlands we got to hear Jake hearken back to his own musical influences, and hear how one of the great shredders of the 80s was really very much his own man. I dig that jake is now playing Gibsons, as they are also a part of the sound he grew up with. I don't know if he will be playing strat style guitars with Red Dragon Cartel (which I am thrilled about) but his style has always leaned more towards vintage tones anyway. I think the reason the strat became his main guitar was because it was easy to run around with on stage and you could put a lot of abuse into them and they would still work, like that Hendrix rolling around on the stage thing he did with Ozzy. With the Gibsons and the Orange amps I get the feeling he is really using the tone he always wanted to use. In Ozzy he was very restricted. It was Ozzy's show. That's just the way it is. I remember reading interviews with Jake where he said he was very disappointing with the sound of TUS because he was not allowed to experiment with guitars and amps, and it was too commercial sounding, too poppy, not heavy enough. He was expecting it to be heavy like BATM but it wasn't. Even Ozzy was disappointing with the sound of that album. But it did sell very well. I wonder if Jake is still using EVs. He used one rig for a long time, but I'm just curious. I'm not the biggest Celestion fan myself. Randy used Altec speakers, which were very much a part of his sound. In fact, in some live videos he did with Ozzy you can see the metalic Altec speaker cones shinning through the cloth on his Marshall cabinets. The Celestion sound is overrated, and it tends to overshadow other speakers that have been used for classic sounds. For instance, Eddie used a Fender Bassman on the first four Van Halen records in conjunction with his 50 watt moded Marshalls, which means a part of the sound came from the Fender Jensen speakers, which are very warm, and not meant to break up like Celestions do. I think a big part of the popularity with Celestions has been their identification with Marshall and the way they break up, but that to me does make make for the best of overdrive. I would prefer a cleaner speaker. The overdrive really should come from the power tubes, and little of it from the pre-amp tubes, and lesser yet from overdrive pedals which are an extension of the pre-amp and mostly solid state and in some cases tube, but tub overdrive pedals/pre-amps never sound as good as power amp based overdrive. In achieving good "distortion" it is best to begin with good overdrive, which is something deeper than mere distortion. Jakes sound on BATM was very different from TUS, which was mainly created with a Rat pedal, and far more distorted than his sound on BATM which was mainly his Boss Overdrive, which he used to tighten the bottom end because EV's never handled bottom end well, unless you are talking about EV's on Boogies with the five band EQs. But most players don't play Boogies, and I don't think they would work for Jake's sound. I remember at the height of the high-gain amp craze of the 80s I was in a shop in Hollywood, right on sunset across from the Whiskey, and I tried a Laney stack. It had all thse push/pull pots, and I was not able to get a good sound out of it. It was clipping. I was there with a friend of mine who is an electrical engineer and guitar player who said the clipping was coming from a failing transformer, and the salesman said "Oh no, that's how the amps supposed to sound!" What happened with Laney was that they lost their quaility control as they tried to take on the more established amps. Laneys, for the most part, are great amps. I think they are building some of their finest amps ever right now, but for a time, in the mid/late 80s, like Hamer, their quality control lapsed. So what does this have to do with bands that sound like Badlands? A lot. Badlands eschewed the metal pretension of the 80s that cheapened not only the music but once great amps and guitars and went for something real and vintage. Badlands didn't want to sound like anyone else. Sure, they let their influences shine, but they were very much their own band, going against that grain. That is why we can still listen to that first album that they did, almost totally under the radar in 1989 (the year of Keaton as Batman and the fall of the Berlin Wall) and it is just as fresh, just as raw, just as soulful today as it was then. I can't wait to see what Red Dragon Cartel is gonna do.

Rock N' Roll Rebel

Postby saltpeanuts » Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:27 pm

Found this while looking at the Manic Eden. Electric Mary, an Aussie band. Pretty funky heavy stuff.

http://youtu.be/UqBJUAJjNlQ

All Access Member

Postby macheted01 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:36 pm

Well, I've been listening to Manic Eden for a couple days now. I really like it. It has a few more ballad type tunes on it than I would like, but found a couple of them fine to listen to. Worth the $12.00 I paid on ebay and will hold me over till Vandenburgh produces his newest work as well. While I have a few guys playing that I like as Jakes and all seem to be taking some time to re-emerge, I hope Jakes hits first.
A lot of good points there Drzepper. I think a lot of the artists these days are chasing that old school tone, or reverting back to the old school recording studios. Nice thing about a lot of this newer gear is that it makes it achievable without the big price tag. I recently switched my rig around to a Jetcity JCA20H head and a Fender Excelsior amp. Its a wonder what swapping out them cheap tubes with some JJ's will do. All I need for the small clubs I play in. Still having some fun with different pedals and stuff. That never seems to end.
In any case Manic Eden is worth the listen. Glad I added it to my collection. Next!

Killer of Giants

Postby sytharnia » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:45 pm

macheted01 wrote:In my search for something similar. I stumbled onto this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5s-Anco9jmM

this sounds kinda like retraced more than badlands to me....could really get into the singer

Postby wyrm » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:00 pm

PreviousNext

Return to All things Jake E Lee...