Whitey Specs

Here we discuss topics related to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

Whitey Specs

Postby moronmountain » Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:31 pm

I know this has probably been disscussed a billion times here, but I can't find the info I need using search. At any rate, I'm new here, and have always been a bid JEL fan. I am building a replica Whitey Strat/Charvel like so many have done before, and wanted to know the following if anyone has good intel on it. Thanks in advance!

Neck radius? Also, was it a straight or compound radius?
Nut width?
Heel width?
Ash or alder?
Was the pickguard a standard Fender shape with different cutouts or something else?
21 frets correct?

Stimpy

All Access Member

Re: Whitey Specs

Postby macheted01 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:42 pm

Earlier on, there was a page on here that covered the complete specs on it. I'm sure the moderator will be able to lead you in the right direction.

Postby moronmountain » Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:55 pm

macheted01 wrote:Earlier on, there was a page on here that covered the complete specs on it. I'm sure the moderator will be able to lead you in the right direction.

Thanks. =D

All Access Member

Postby macheted01 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:39 am

I would start here. I believe these guys used to make an advertise selling Jake's pickguard. I don't see it on their page anymore, but I would assume they still have the template.
http://pickguardian.com

Are you looking to play this as well, or just looking to make a replica? The reason I ask is, if you are looking to play it as well, you may not like some of Jake's specs. You could still make one that looks like it, but more to your liking. If you are looking to make a replica to hang on the wall or something, than that is a different story.

I used to have a link to where you could get the type of bridge that he used as well, but cant find it. I want to say he had some different saddles on there as well, but not for sure.

This site is in the middle of an overhaul, but there used to be a section dedicated to just that.

Postby moronmountain » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:52 am

I'm going to play it, but I may change a few small things. I actually prefer a 24.75" scale neck, so I was kinda pleasantly suprised when I read that. Thanks for some starting info.

Rock N' Roll Rebel

Postby Nebilim » Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:00 pm

moronmountain wrote:I'm going to play it, but I may change a few small things. I actually prefer a 24.75" scale neck, so I was kinda pleasantly suprised when I read that. Thanks for some starting info.

the whitey wasn't 24.75" but the ESP modells had some funky neck stuff going on :)

Postby moronmountain » Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:51 pm

Really? Everything I read said he had the Fender neck cut down to a Gibson length, including all the searches I've done on this site? At any rate, I just want to know as many details as I can, and then I will decide what to go with as far as my personal playing preferences go.

Rock N' Roll Rebel

Postby Nebilim » Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:00 pm

Yep, really :) although I'm not sure about the Red/Mirror or Daphne Blue Charvel, but the whitey was original Fender,
although the neck had been shaved to a thinner shape and the headstock was also reshaped :)

Return to All things Jake E Lee...