Review Of Red Dragon Cartel At The Whiskey

Here we discuss topics related to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

Rock N' Roll Rebel

Re: Review Of Red Dragon Cartel At The Whiskey

Postby 3dayphunk » Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:05 pm

AZFF wrote:
Smitty wrote:Thanks for the review. Who was there? Any celebs/guitarists that you saw?

Warren DeMartini, Joe Holmes, and Oni Logan

Whoa, Oni Logan. Now that's a name I would like to see work with Jake and on this album!

All Access Member

Postby macheted01 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:26 pm

Alright, I have went through all the videos of the show and had to come here. A little disturbed. Jake was stellar. The drummer and bass player did a great job. At times, in some of the videos you could almost tell the drummer was annoyed by Darren the singer. At times you could tell that Darren may be able to pull this off, but sure flopped. Not only was his vocals hard to handle at times, but his behavior was just ridiculous. I can't remember the vocals, so let me spout some shit off. Wow. I am hoping it was just the drink in him. He has been given a great gift and I hope he gets it together. They selected this guy for a reason, so let's see and hear it. If a show comes my way, I will surely go. Would be nice to see ONI or someone of that caliber step up and say Jake, get rid of that guy and I will front this band. I am actually surprised that none have asked to be part of it.

Killer of Giants

Postby sytharnia » Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:14 pm

I think some of the reaction I have read (not really here but a few other sites) are just pathetic....this is the bands first gig and it doesn't matter how much practicing you do first gigs are tough man (hence the reason darren may have been wasted). At times darren sounded really good (admittedly not many times) and I can see what jake heard in him so hopefully he settles into the gig.....I hear a little mandy lion in him so I wonder if that was the appeal for jake??

As I have zero chances of ever seeing them live I don't really care what the gigs are like, I just hope the record kicks ass (from the little bits I have listen to I think its close)

Rock N' Roll Rebel

Postby 3dayphunk » Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:40 am

Darren sounds much better in this soundcheck clip of Sun Red Sun!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PShVah-CoDg

All Access Member

Postby macheted01 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:11 am

Just seen the clip of Sun Red Sun and a couple others that have popped up since yesterday. Believe me, I am pulling for this band. I hope the next show proves to be much better. In the videos that are out, it is not just his voice, but the way he handled things as well. I would expect to see things like this in a bar gig, but to me, I have seen guys that could have just jumped up there and handled themselves much better than Darren did. Hopefullly, he gets some rest and re-groups and puts on a much better show. I am sure the whipping he is getting online, does not feel good, and should sink in. Bring on the next show, with a little more professionalism and prove everyone wrong.

Postby Bluesman » Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:30 am

From the RDC blogg:
http://reddragoncartel.com/in-defense-of-darren-james-smith-2/

http://reddragoncartel.com/from-darren-james-smith-all-apologies/

Darren obviously had too much to drink, and I have no words for how unprofessional it is. I mean...A night like this...Jake's comeback that everyone has been waiting for, and he completely destroyed the whole gig with his rockstar wannabe attitude.
Great to see and hear Jake again. He sounded just like in the good ol´days. Seems to be in good shape too.
Last edited by Bluesman on Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rock N' Roll Rebel

Postby aqharyder » Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:55 am

Arrived in San Diego late last night, and cannot wait for tonight! Hope Darren has pulled it together and realizes how lucky he is to have been given this opportunity. Here's to a great show tonight !!!

Postby RobGLA » Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:56 am

It's very cool that Darren posted an apology.

It wasn't really the vocals that bothered me so much, everyone gets sick and can have an off night, it was the way he behaved, taunting the audience and being disrespectful to the other band members, especially Jake. BUT, hopefully that was the alcohol talking, I'm sure Jake picked him for a reason and clearly he can sing.

Rock N' Roll Rebel

Postby Nebilim » Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:02 pm

aqharyder wrote:Arrived in San Diego late last night, and cannot wait for tonight! Hope Darren has pulled it together and realizes how lucky he is to have been given this opportunity. Here's to a great show tonight !!!

I expect a full review :D

Rock N' Roll Rebel

Postby Tonefiend » Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:45 pm

aqharyder wrote:Arrived in San Diego late last night, and cannot wait for tonight! Hope Darren has pulled it together and realizes how lucky he is to have been given this opportunity. Here's to a great show tonight !!!

If it's as good as the show at the Whisky it will be epic. Who cares about the singing anyway? :)

PSA if you are looking for places to eat Phil's ribs about a mile or two away over by the Sports Arena is one of the better places in SD to eat. Of course there is some good Mexican food in Old Town. And Point Loma Seafood a few miles away is epic.

Rock N' Roll Rebel

Postby aqharyder » Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:07 pm

Tonefiend wrote:

Phil's ribs about a mile or two away over by the Sports Arena is one of the better places in SD to eat. Of course there is some good Mexican food in Old Town. If it's as good as the show at the Whisky it will be epic. Who cares about the singing anyway? :)

Thank you so much for the info! We went down to Ocean Beach -it's so beautiful down here! We we're having breakfast and I think Warren DeMartini was sitting next to us. If it wasn't him it was his doppelgänger And you're right I just want to hear that unique and brilliant sound that was silent for too long. I hope you have a great time and thanks again for all your help!

Killer of Giants

Postby sytharnia » Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:59 pm

I assume this is real .... I think its good that he is big enough to step up and apologies, lets hope he can step up the vocals as well

http://reddragoncartel.com/from-darren- ... apologies/

All Access Member

Postby Charvelised » Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:50 pm

I think the comments are doing great disservice to Jake and the Potential Of RDC...I'm Sure Jake Found the Singer he wants...I'm sure things will work out when everybody puts there Expectation behind them..Only a few years ago We (at least here in JAKEFORUM) would have Had anything from Jake...now it's here it's not good enough...give it time and I think it'll be AWESOME....

Postby bauerserves » Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:49 pm

I am going to post some guitar/singing of some of my favorite Badlands jams and to be honest I haven't played them in a long time but I plan to concentrate more on singing the songs the way they were written not going butchered by some ass wipe that needs replaced now. I have no idea how to get Jakes attention but I know I can't see the writing style of this chump or talent level anywhere near Jake's. Sorry but I take music very seriously and it pisses me off to the point of doing something . I have to thank u guys for posting the videos I have one Badlands song on YouTube but I wasn't trying to sound like Ray but I will be back soon with some posts.to throw my hat.in the ring , or atleast do my best to honor my heroes

All Access Member

Postby Shadow » Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:57 pm

JAKE E. LEE is a Professional :twisted: 8O 8) Trailblazer, totally kicked it "solid" with this much welcome back Concert Event(s) with his new band RED DRAGON CARTEL: the new singer does have range/potential (I can hear it), but when drinking too much makes one act out of the norm/and causes errors. So, leave the drinks alone I say...'cause your paying much homage to Classic songs High-wire, The Ultimate Sin, Rock N Roll Rebel, In A Dream etc.,. and you want to be at your "best" with not only Classics but also the soon to be Classics "Feeder" your breathing life into. JAKE your awesome treasure Rebel legend Musician through and through and I'm thrilled of your comeback, welcome Back home to the live Stage where you belong. Many Blessings to you and your band and have a groovin' MERRY CHRISTMAS and prosperous New Year 2014!! :mrgreen: Peace.

PreviousNext

Return to All things Jake E Lee...