Thoughts on Red Dragon Cartel, Out Now

Here we discuss topics related to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

All Access Member

Thoughts on Red Dragon Cartel, Out Now

Postby macheted01 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:34 pm

I have had it for quite some time now, because I ordered the Japanese Import. I posted my thoughts on it, in another thread. Would like to hear what others think. Overall, I like it. While I was more into the Badlands vibe, I appreciate Jake re-surfacing, and bringing another dose of what he does. As he said, he is not out to repeat anything, he has already done. Judging from the reviews on alot of the youtube videos, it appears a mixed bag and for alot of guitarists from the past, it can be a no win situation. If he was to do something like Badlands or Ozzy all together, people will say, he has offered nothing new. If he came out with something completely new, people would complain that it sounds nothing like his classic work from his other stuff. Reviews on the album as a whole will serve more accurate. I think RDC has covered all the bases well on this offering. While there are a couple of tracks to me that are not so memorable, there are other that fill the void for sure. I think that Darren does a descent job on the recordings, regardless of the backlash he has received from the fans, and hopefully as time goes on he will earn some of them back. Looking forward to a live show when they come my way and if anyone is in the Detroit Metro area feel free to look me up.

Ultimate Sinner

Re: Thoughts on Red Dragon Cartel, Out Now

Postby AZFF » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:53 pm

I'm digging it overall. Couple of tunes kind of had a 'Black Sabbath vibe' to them, and that's OK with me. I'm really diggin the track 'Redeem Me' with Sass Jordan on vocals. Feeder....solid track. Fall From The Sky pretty chill and mellow track. Wasted with Paul Di'Anno some cool slide guitar. Slaves....meh, not one of my favorites. Big Mouth....dig it. Great singer Maria Brink. War Machine (Sabbath vibe) great vocals......awesome guitar work by Jake.

Postby Rasmine » Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:34 am

It was great seeing Jake E Lee at the Grove for the NAMM show.... just listened to the newly released RDC CD and love what I hear... nice clean sound... very talented work! Hope to see you on the East Coast sometime.

Killer of Giants

Postby Doobie » Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:10 am

My copy should arrive today. Having listened to and watching the official Deceived video, I hear a lot of Bark at the Moon in that tune. Jake jams all the way through that one!

Ultimate Sinner

Postby LouZ » Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:03 pm

I like the album! It's great to have Jake E. back making music

I never expected Jake to do another album similar to Badlands or Ozzy. He's moved forward in a heavier and modern direction, and changed his style/sound to suit who is working with (a rarity for most guitarists)

I really like all 5 tracks that Jake has done with the 'permanent' members of RDC. Hopefully they have more written and continue to work on new material
I heard 'Purple Haze' on the radio and ...... it made the hairs on the back of my neck stood up

Postby indeedido » Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:28 pm

Just picked mine up at Best Buy. The rack only had two left, now one. Selling well in my store!

All Access Member

Postby bernidb » Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:52 pm

i love it. it doesn't sound like the ozzy stuff or badlands but it has elements of all that stuff
it sounds fresh and energetic with great songwriting and his playing is super tasteful.
it's just a really good solid album.

All Access Member

Postby macheted01 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:45 am

Best Buy version, definately the way to go. American Dream is a great track.

Rock N' Roll Rebel

Postby 3dayphunk » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:20 am

macheted01 wrote:While I was more into the Badlands vibe, I appreciate Jake re-surfacing, and bringing another dose of what he does.

Your above quote summarizes things nicely for me. I feel the same. I got the Best Buy version yesterday.

I like the album. But I'm not crazy about the album. I really and truly appreciate getting new, original material from him. Plus I think his playing is better than I thought it would be given his time off. If they come to Boston, I will also go see them live.

I really like the track with Sass Jordan (Redeem Me). I honestly feel like had Jake done an album more in the direction of Badlands with Sass (or someone similar) on vocals and a more active bass player (like Greg Chaisson), this album would be more popular. That style of music wasn't that popular in 1990-1992, but I feel like people want it now. I'd love to hear an entire album with Sass.

That said, the album is rocking and somewhat heavy. Jake did not wimp out here. I do wonder if the producer (Kevin Churko) had a lot of input on the musical direction/style cause I think (and I could be wrong) he is known for heavy album production.
Last edited by 3dayphunk on Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby axeman_12656 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:48 pm

My best buy exclusive version of RDC came in yesterday. I have to say I really enjoy this album. It really does feel good to have Jake back. In general the album has exceeded my expectations. While I was very excited for it, I was also cautious since the album came with so much uncertainty. Jake's style and settled a little. But most of these licks are classic Jake! If I had to compare the album as a whole to any albums he has done prior I would choose Bark At The Moon. It's far too heavy to sound like Badlands. It's more on par with Ozzy. It RDC had heavy synth if would be extremely close to the Bark album.

Deceived is clearly the single. It has the most energy of any song on the album. Easily the most radio-friendly. You can hear that Churko produced the album. The production sounds like SCREAM. The album flows really well when you listen to it. I am not sure what the actual length of the CD is but it seems to go by in a flash. That’s really the biggest compliment you can give a release. If an album drags or seems to be long winded that’s never a good sign.

My least favorite song is probably WASTED. I would love to hear a version of this song with RDC singer D.J. Smith on it. But don't get me wrong. I can live with this tune the way it is. It might be my least favorite but that doesn't mean I don't enjoy it. The song that I instantly enjoyed the most is REDEEM ME (with Sass Jordan). I have always enjoyed her vocals. This song is just really easy to get with. Nothing fancy, but enjoyable.

The RDC band is solid. D.J. Smith does a good job on vocals. For all the shit he has taken the past few months I am excited that he can now prove what he is capabilities are. He isn't Ozzy, he isn't Ray. He is his own singer. I respect that.

But the mix guest vocalist and D.J. helps make the album enjoyable. For the most part it's the RED DRAGON CARTEL. But the guest vocalist helps keep the listeners on their toes.

The Best Buy exclusive track AMERICAN DREAM is a rocker! Def worth picking up this version if you can. This tune is as good as any song on the CD.

Highlights:
DECEIVED
BIG MOUTH
SHOUT IT OUT
REDEEM ME
FEEDER (this track took some time to grow on me. But once it did... CLASSIC JAKE E. LEE)
AMERICAN DREAM

All In all I truly enjoy the release. Most of all I am proud of Jake!! It is great to have him back.

Postby indeedido » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:20 am

Deceived, Shout it out, war machine freaking rock!! I REALLY like the Sas Jordan song too. Love the album. Mixed really good too sonically.

All Access Member

Postby Shadow » Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:56 pm

I put mine on Order the day of it's release, I wish I had pre-ordered "earlier" then I would have it "now"...'my fault yet I am waiting for it's arrival "soon" (early Feb. 2014, I shall have it..'can't Wait!!!) Heared/saw the RDC-EPK and it had be beaming all the way: so very proud/and thrilled for Mr. Jake E. Lee and his band Red Dragon Cartel. They very much have a stealor music-groove on their hands and "loved" the EPK 6 1/2min Interview w/JAKE and his band. For sure like he quoted "Music is his Soul, his Goddess..." his a straight to the Heart geniune-Trailblazer Musician and I can't wait to hear the new album/Cd JAKE E. LEE's RED DRAGON CARTEL. Oh, yeah I did see it at Best Buy Store with it's bonus track "American Dream" I believe that's the extra track titled and hope it will be on my Order/purchase, too!! Once again very happy/thrilled for the "Big Kahoona/da Oge" and Wow, he and his band are definately gonna set the stage a fire/high energy on his/their much awaited Tour 2014: hopefully when they do the MONSTER OF ROCK CRUISE: it would be "cool" if the legendary Rebel-Blues/Rocker JAKE would also hit the Stage and do a Solo w/LOUDNESS legend AKIRA. Have a great Tour 2014 and wish JAKE's-RDC the best in the World: Solid. 8) :D :twisted:

Postby Huckleberry » Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:54 pm

It's a solid album. Darren is great. Yeah yeah...Whiskey screw up whatever.

Jake is in good form. The rhythm section is equal to the task. Darren and the guest vocalists hold up their end. The songs range from "really good" to "oh my Dear Lord".

Welcome back, Jake. We waited. you delivered.
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Postby Abarsis » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:53 pm

For my part I had serious misgvings about this album after seeing Deceived on Youtube. Jake was awesome, of course, but I truly wondered if the rest of the band was up to the task.

The song struck me as a bit derivative of Bark at the Moon, and I found Darren's vocals difficult to approach, Mancuso's bass performance in the video to be a bit uninspiring, and the drummer to be just fair over all - neither really helping nor actually harming the recorded proceedings either way.

Having lived with the album for a week on a real stereo, however, I am pleased to say that I am warming up to Darren's vocals and that, on the whole, the recordings featured on Red Dragon Cartel are pretty tight - being both well performed by Jake and Co., and solidly engineered and produced by Churko et al. too.

That RDC is a heavier album than I expected is undeniable - it's almost industrial metal in some areas I'd say - but Jake's performance is truly spirited and the songs are all really solid.

Jake has never been one to rest on his laurels, (he's almost always reached for and pushed against the envelope in both his music and his playing), so in retrospect that his new album would challenge my expectations as a listener really should not have come as shock.

The thing is, like everybody else, I had lived with only his old recordings to listen to for so long that in the abscence of anything new I had more than enough time to grow comfortable with them and, sub-conciously, I think I was anticipating more of the same from Jake because, while I had moved on in time his music had, in effect, remained static and frozen for me.

Or to put another way; without any evidence that Jake had grown or changed as an artist, (Retraced didn't really cover any new ground after all, being as it was a covers album of marginally obscure but-still-classic rock songs), I didn't have any expectation that he might have grown in new directions as a musician.

That was my problem, though, not Jake's...

In truth, making another Ozzy or Badlands-inspired album would probably have been the safest thing for Jake to do, (and I imagine the chance for success going that route would have been pretty high), but Jake chose the more challenging road instead and recorded and released an album that makes a statement about the music that he wants to make today - in 2014 - some two decades on from his halcyon days in either Badlands or with Ozzy.

I can only imagine how personally rewarding an experience the release of this album must be for Jake, and I hope that people respond well to it for both its own merits and for the more selfish fact that I'd really rather not have to wait another 20 years or so for the next one!

Good luck Jake, and good luck RDC!

Postby rhoadsrules82 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:44 am

I think it is a solid release and Jake's playing is pretty good for being away from the music business for so long!! The Best Buy bonus track is also really good.

Next

Return to All things Jake E Lee...