Yngwie Malmsteen's tremelo

Here we discuss topics unrelated to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

Killer of Giants

Yngwie Malmsteen's tremelo

Postby johnthebrucelee » Sun Feb 19, 2006 3:31 pm

I'm new to this guy but omg, I've watched his live solos vid on youtube and such. How does he keep his guitar in tune after like going crazy with it??? I've noticed he removed the plate where the tremelo system can be accessed on his strat. So got any answers for this young guitarist? :o

Ultimate Sinner

Re: Yngwie Malmsteen's tremelo

Postby Bengal65 » Sun Feb 19, 2006 7:28 pm

The brass nut he uses is a big plus (less friction without lubricants). A Fender "Vintage Trem" will stay in tune provided it is properly setup. This means that the anchor screws do not bind in the trem holes. Also, that the tuners are in good shape and don't have excessive backlash. In addition the forward tilt should be less than 3/32" from the top of the body to the bottom of the trem plate at the rear. My YJM and other vintage Strats stay in tune all day long. The back plate removed doesn't do anything, but make it easier to access the claw to adjust the spring tension.

Killer of Giants

Postby frethead » Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:09 am

. . . and rake the spring with your pick ( witness the intro sounds to "I'll See the Light Tonight," Marching Out). Thanks, Bengal65, you've obviously become experienced with the "wammy" bars. That is some juicy technical information I will never discover with my guitars! :)

Killer of Giants

Postby johnthebrucelee » Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:59 pm

Wow, that's some really good info! I looked around the net and found some answers from Malmsteen that he said that he SETS the strings... Whatever... Maybe he doesn't want to expose his secret. :roll:

Killer of Giants

Postby frethead » Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:10 pm

I think that if you boil the strings they'll stay in tune a little longer than normal, 'course they sound about half fried ( or "boiled!"), too. I haven't done that in about twenty years, so I don't remember exactly what to tell you to expect.

Killer of Giants

Postby Rock » Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:21 pm

Nice answer Bengal, I have never been a strat player, and wondered the same thing myself, how does he keep it in tune, thinking it must go out sometimes, but really never seems to, seems the only way it will go out, is if the strings arent stretched in properly.

Killer of Giants

Postby Deansolo » Mon Feb 27, 2006 5:11 pm

frethead wrote:. . . and rake the spring with your pick ( witness the intro sounds to "I'll See the Light Tonight," Marching Out). Thanks, Bengal65, you've obviously become experienced with the "wammy" bars. That is some juicy technical information I will never discover with my guitars! :)

Do I detect a bit o' sarcasm in your reply? :)
www.cats-eyeesp.com
www.myspace.com/catseyeesp

Have you hugged your Cat's-Eye pedal today?

Killer of Giants

Postby Deansolo » Mon Feb 27, 2006 5:19 pm

frethead wrote:I think that if you boil the strings they'll stay in tune a little longer than normal, 'course they sound about half fried ( or "boiled!"), too. I haven't done that in about twenty years, so I don't remember exactly what to tell you to expect.

Sounds half baked!!! LOL! :lol:

Seriously though, when I used to play a strat, a drop or two of sewing machine oil mixed with graphite in the the nut helped a bunch...kinda messy though, and it tends to f**ck up the accessories compartment in your case when the f**kin' container leaks. That still pisses me off! Ruined a perfectly good case trying to keep that damn guitar in tume!! DAMN!

Sorry....Nevermind.
www.cats-eyeesp.com
www.myspace.com/catseyeesp

Have you hugged your Cat's-Eye pedal today?

Killer of Giants

Postby frethead » Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:37 pm

Aww, man. Daaaang! C'mon.

Ultimate Sinner

Postby Bengal65 » Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:06 pm

That little trick I learned from Dan Erlewine does the job. He spent a lot of time with SRV's guitar tech and you know how hard Stevie was on the whammy :wink:

Return to Free for all...