Your very FIRST guitar

Here we discuss topics unrelated to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

Killer of Giants

Your very FIRST guitar

Postby johnthebrucelee » Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:12 am

Not you whole gear but your VERY FIRST GUITAR you owned and how you got it.

Mine is a Starcaster by Fender, which came with a amp, picks, etc. I saved enough money after my 15th B-day to get it at Costco.

Killer of Giants

Re: Your very FIRST guitar

Postby Deansolo » Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:53 am

My first p.o.s. guitar was a japanese electric I bought from a neighbor for 10 bucks. It was a depatrment store p.o.s. that looked very "60's" and very "groovy". I learned open and barre chords on it but it wouldn't stay in tune so I gve it away to a friend.

My first real guitar was a wine red Hondo II Les Paul copy with DiMarzio super distortion humbuckers. Got it for "Free" at Guitar Center in San Diego in 1977.

Killer of Giants

Postby MetalHead » Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:30 am

Mine was a darkgreen strat-copy with a white pickguard...

which I still have, although the pickguard is removed and the
darkgreen paint is sanded of.

I have a Dean humbucker which I'm thinking about putting in the strat
and fill the pther cavities with wood, than VanHalenize it :D
"Spend less time chasing tones and more time just playing music." - Marty Friedman

Killer of Giants

Postby Rock » Fri Jan 06, 2006 3:35 am

Mine was an Ibanez Rocket roll, which was a flying V copy, when i was about 15, i bought that from a mate, who's parents got for him for xmas, and he never really got in to it. Matter of fact i used to go over there and play it (like shit) lol, yet sounded better than him, so his parents let me buy it. :) This was such a good guitar, I used it on stage for many of my early years in bands, damn i miss it, wish i kept it. :)

Postby jefnel1 » Fri Jan 06, 2006 5:03 am

Mine was a Memphis Les Paul copy when I was 11. Boy that thing weighed a ton! I remember learning Smoke on the Water and the Purple Haze intro on it.

In a drunken fury, I smashed the guitar to bits in the street when I was 16. It was a direct result of watching too much Headbanger's Ball.
"A lot of people use the (tremolo) bar when their brain or their heart quits thinking about the music."

Secret Loser

Postby Hell_Tanner » Fri Jan 06, 2006 5:27 am

Mine was a "Aria PRO Mad Axe", what a name! My parents bought it for me along with a Fender JAM amp for Xmas when I was uh...13 I guess.
I still have that amp (of course!) and the guitar too but it is disassembled and I painted the body VH II style, black with yellow stripes.

I can't say it was a piece of shit, it did the job well for a beginner, I haven't been nice to it that's all.
Last edited by Hell_Tanner on Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Formerly known as \"Berseker\"

Tommy Bolin Forum

Killer of Giants

Postby Moose6 » Fri Jan 06, 2006 5:42 am

Arbor Strat copy, white with black pick guard, $99 in 1987. I didn't have a guitar stand for it and I knocked it over one day... broke the plastic nut right out of it. It didn't sound that great anyway. I did hear about a few guys that couldn't pass up the price and bought one. They replaced the neck and dropped a humbucker into it. Apparently they were really good after that modification. Mine, however, ended up in a garbage dump somewhere. I wish I still had it so I could put a neck on it and some EMG's into it. Oh well.

Postby Fretman » Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:21 am

Hondo Fame strat EVH replica bought when I was 14 or 15 for around $100-$150...and what a pile. I gave it to a friend after upgrading to a BC Rich.

Killer of Giants

Postby stratattack » Fri Jan 06, 2006 8:14 am

my first guitar was a 1973 fender strat (that I still own and play)
I got it when I was 13 the first amp I got was a gorilla 10 watt practice amp that sounded like crap. but I still have the strat and many more like it as for amps I use only Marshall . but I want to get a Budda head those things sound so good.
The artist formally known as Brawler

Killer of Giants

Postby Deansolo » Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:29 pm

stratattack wrote:my first guitar was a 1973 fender strat (that I still own and play)
I got it when I was 13 the first amp I got was a gorilla 10 watt practice amp that sounded like crap. but I still have the strat and many more like it as for amps I use only Marshall . but I want to get a Budda head those things sound so good.

Speaking of Gorilla Amps...Those were crap! I needed a practice amp back in the mid 80's so I bought this Gorilla thing called the "Tube Cruncher" they said it was like 15 watts but sounded like 30 watts. 2 sounds: Clean and quiet or Noisy, Oversaturated and loud. Nothing in between. I used to call it the "Butt Muncher"!! :lol:

Killer of Giants

Postby Rock » Fri Jan 06, 2006 4:54 pm

LOL...found a pic of me onstage with my first guitar, this is from 1990, obviously thats me on the left with the Ibanez Rocket roll, my first guitar.

Killer of Giants

Postby Deansolo » Fri Jan 06, 2006 4:59 pm

Very Cool...I dig the " Hot 'N' Tight" Backdrop!!! :)

Secret Loser

Postby Hell_Tanner » Fri Jan 06, 2006 5:02 pm

You look a bit like like Phil Campbell from Motorhead on that pic.
Formerly known as \"Berseker\"

Tommy Bolin Forum

All Access Member

Postby Charvelised » Sat Jan 07, 2006 8:13 am

Fender Strat,, I was well peeved as I wanted a Red one and I got a Sunburst!

All Access Member

Postby RandyRhoadsRules! » Sat Jan 07, 2006 11:54 pm

An old Les Paul that just needed new strings. and paint and a friend of mine didnt want it so he gave it to me for christmas and i still have it
AMAZING SOUND AND EVERYTHING!

Next

Return to Free for all...