Concept Albums

Here we discuss topics unrelated to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

Ultimate Sinner
Posts: 115
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:00 pm
Location: TN

Concept Albums

Postby Olaf » Fri Mar 24, 2006 6:06 pm

Okay boys and girls,

I know that there are many of us who long for a great concept album like the original Mindcrime was. Unfortunantly I dont think that Mindcrime II will be the answer.

There are howerver and have been some very good if not great concept album since then that I sure have gone widely unnoticed. This is where I step in to help. I am going to share with you all some of my favorite concept albums. This first one is a must listen to anyone who has ever lover Mindcrime. Not to say that it sounds like it but I got the overall kick ass feeling listening to this that I used to get with mindcrime. It is a two cd set and may take a few listens to get into it. Trust me though, the pay off is worth it. It is an album called "The Human Equation" by Ayreon.
Image

It is one of many prog metal operas with an amazing cast of caracters including James Labrie of Dream Theater.

The Story:
A man has a car accident and ends up in hospital in a comatose state. The car accident was very bizarre: it was broad daylight and there was no other car in sight. His wife and his best friend are keeping a vigil at his bed, trying to understand what happened, hoping he will wake soon.

Cut off from the outside world, the man finds himself trapped in a strange realm where his emotions- most of which he’s ignored for a long time- have come to life to confront him with all the choices he has made in his life.

As he is taken from one memory to the next, he slowly becomes aware of all the events leading up to his accident, and realizes that if he ever wants to wake up from his coma, he must find a way out of his prison…

Another is A band called Heavenly and the Album is "Dust to Dust" It is about Vampires.
Image

Thirdly is an album about the Crusades ( No Mr Metal it is not a Saxon album) :lol: Just kidding. It is a band called Angra and the album is "Temple of Shadows"
Image

Next is an Album about Atlantis and it is from Symphony X and it is called "V"

Image

Last is an album about a world with no death and disease from a band whose initialls are "VD" :wink: It is Vision Divine and the album is called "The Perfect Machine"

Image


You can't go wrong with any of these but I would highly recomend the Aryeon CD first. WOW!

LET ME KNOW IF YOU ALL CHECK ANY OF THESE OUT.
Image

Ultimate Sinner
Posts: 96
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:00 pm
Location: Cookeville, TN

Re: Concept Albums

Postby excitable87 » Sun Apr 09, 2006 8:50 am

According to a posting at their website, www.judaspriest.com, Judas Priest are creating their first conceptual album based upon the life and predictions of Nostradamus.

According to a quote from the site, "This album will be theatrically staged and performed in its entirity as an epic musical by Judas Priest! More news later!!"

As previously reported, Judas Priest have decided not to tour this year. In stead, the band will work straight through until they are finished with the new album.

Background on Nostradamus:

Born in the early 16th century, Nostradamus has become one of the world's most widely known and read prophets.

His poetic yet cryptic quatrains are claimed by some to conceal information about future events. He completed a total of 942 quatrains which he organized into Centuries - groups of 100 quatrains (one Century only had 42 quatrains).

Nostradamus is said to have predicted several world events including the rise and fall of Hitler, the assassination of John F. Kennedy, and his brother Robert F. Kennedy, and events yet to pass, like World War III.

Source: KNAC.com

Um, don't know what to say about this one.

Killer of Giants
User avatar
Posts: 1679
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2006 5:00 pm
Location: Texas

Re: Concept Albums

Postby mrmetal » Sun Apr 09, 2006 10:40 am

Nice post Olaf and full of some great recommendations. I have one more to add.

Evergrey's "In Search of Truth"

Image

Killer of Giants
User avatar
Posts: 2138
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2005 5:00 pm
Location: Sweden

Re: Concept Albums

Postby MetalHead » Sun Apr 09, 2006 10:47 am

i'd like to think that Queens A night at the opera fits in this category :)
"Spend less time chasing tones and more time just playing music." - Marty Friedman

Killer of Giants
Posts: 758
Joined: Sat Dec 31, 2005 5:00 pm
Location: Boston Mass

Re: Concept Albums

Postby stratattack » Mon Apr 10, 2006 6:40 am

I think Rhapsody Made a couple.
The artist formally known as Brawler

All Access Member
User avatar
Posts: 1972
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:00 pm
Location: Gray, TN

Re: Concept Albums

Postby PoetsandMadmen » Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:49 am

stratattack wrote:I think Rhapsody Made a couple.


You're right. Rhapsody's albums have been intertwined by an ongoing story for years. the last effort, Symphony of Enchanted Lands Part II is suppose to be the final chapter/conclusion of the story.

Ultimate Sinner
Posts: 115
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:00 pm
Location: TN

Re: Concept Albums

Postby Olaf » Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:07 am

excitable87 wrote:According to a posting at their website, www.judaspriest.com, Judas Priest are creating their first conceptual album based upon the life and predictions of Nostradamus.

According to a quote from the site, "This album will be theatrically staged and performed in its entirity as an epic musical by Judas Priest! More news later!!"

As previously reported, Judas Priest have decided not to tour this year. In stead, the band will work straight through until they are finished with the new album.

Background on Nostradamus:

Born in the early 16th century, Nostradamus has become one of the world's most widely known and read prophets.

His poetic yet cryptic quatrains are claimed by some to conceal information about future events. He completed a total of 942 quatrains which he organized into Centuries - groups of 100 quatrains (one Century only had 42 quatrains).

Nostradamus is said to have predicted several world events including the rise and fall of Hitler, the assassination of John F. Kennedy, and his brother Robert F. Kennedy, and events yet to pass, like World War III.

Source: KNAC.com

Um, don't know what to say about this one.



Sounds interesting to me.
Image

All Access Member
User avatar
Posts: 1972
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:00 pm
Location: Gray, TN

Re: Concept Albums

Postby PoetsandMadmen » Mon Apr 10, 2006 1:38 pm

Painkiller isn't what's considered a "concept" album, but I believe it has a theme throughout. Should be interesting regardless!

Ultimate Sinner
Posts: 96
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:00 pm
Location: Cookeville, TN

Re: Concept Albums

Postby excitable87 » Mon Apr 10, 2006 3:07 pm

I just have the feeling it's gonna either be really good or really bad, no in between. Revoloution is a damn good song though, so hopefully they'll keep that up. Didn't Kiss come out with a concept album? And I kinda considered Pornograffitti by Extreme to be a "themed" album.

All Access Member
User avatar
Posts: 1972
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:00 pm
Location: Gray, TN

Re: Concept Albums

Postby PoetsandMadmen » Tue Apr 11, 2006 6:10 am

excitable87 wrote:I just have the feeling it's gonna either be really good or really bad, no in between. Revoloution is a damn good song though, so hopefully they'll keep that up. Didn't Kiss come out with a concept album? And I kinda considered Pornograffitti by Extreme to be a "themed" album.


Kiss' The Elder I believe is one, but I wouldn't swear to it. Yeah, Pornograffitti and III Sides To Every Story are concept albums. Extreme is a much underrated band.

Killer of Giants
User avatar
Posts: 1679
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2006 5:00 pm
Location: Texas

Re: Concept Albums

Postby mrmetal » Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:54 am

It was the Elder...it also when they all cut their hair...bad move.

All Access Member
User avatar
Posts: 1972
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:00 pm
Location: Gray, TN

Re: Concept Albums

Postby PoetsandMadmen » Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:40 am

mrmetal wrote:It was the Elder...it also when they all cut their hair...bad move.


Honestly, I've never listened to the album. Most Kiss fans mark it as their worst album.

Killer of Giants
User avatar
Posts: 1679
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2006 5:00 pm
Location: Texas

Re: Concept Albums

Postby mrmetal » Tue Apr 11, 2006 11:25 am

PoetsandMadmen wrote:Honestly, I've never listened to the album. Most Kiss fans mark it as their worst album.


Well, it is not typical Kiss by any stretch. I think the album is not that bad really. It was a bold, new move for Kiss to try something that different and most Kiss fans reacted negatively to it.

I like Creatures of the Night too and most Kiss fans don't like that one either.

All Access Member
User avatar
Posts: 1972
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:00 pm
Location: Gray, TN

Re: Concept Albums

Postby PoetsandMadmen » Wed Apr 12, 2006 5:13 am

Savatage's Streets - A Rock Opera is a masterpiece IMO. The story line flows throughout the album making it easy for the listener to follow what's going on. In short, Streets is about a hard rock musician that has it all, but falls due to alcohol and substance abuse. Before he knows it, he finds himself homeless and out on the streets. Eventually, he finds himself, but soon realizes that there is people that want to bring him back down again. I love the way Paul O'Neill ends the story, because it hits very close to home for me personally. If you listen to it, then you'll be able to figure out what I mean! :wink:

Image

Ultimate Sinner
Posts: 130
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:00 pm
Location: Canada

Re: Concept Albums

Postby rockinrye » Fri Apr 14, 2006 7:14 pm

mrmetal wrote:
PoetsandMadmen wrote:Honestly, I've never listened to the album. Most Kiss fans mark it as their worst album.


Well, it is not typical Kiss by any stretch. I think the album is not that bad really. It was a bold, new move for Kiss to try something that different and most Kiss fans reacted negatively to it.

I like Creatures of the Night too and most Kiss fans don't like that one either.


I have Kiss on video on a show I believe was called Fridays (i can't rememeber)

They did 2 songs from The Elder , The Oath and A World Without Heroes.

Also on the concept cd news , Priest is doing a concept cd about Nostradamus anf are looking towards a full blown North American tour

Return to Free for all...

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests