Jake E. Lee -VS- Yngwie Malmsteen

Here we discuss topics related to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

Which guitarist do you like over the other?

Jake E. Lee
88%
Yngwie J. Malmsteen
12%

Total votes : 78
Killer of Giants

Re: Jake E. Lee -VS- Yngwie Malmsteen

Postby frethead » Sat Apr 29, 2006 9:55 am

OK. Here's one for you.

HOT VOMIT

VS.

HOT BLOOD

Killer of Giants

Postby Doobie » Sat Apr 29, 2006 10:17 am

lol let's mix 'em - HOT BLOODY VOMIT
ewww

Killer of Giants

Postby frethead » Sat Apr 29, 2006 12:50 pm

LOLOLOLGOODNESSGRACIOUSMAOLOLOMIGAWD OK wait a minute . . . uhhh . . . HOT BLOODY BLOODY MARY VOMIT!!!
no, that's still vomit . . .
you win

All Access Member

Postby RandyRhoadsRules! » Sun Apr 30, 2006 1:48 am

id pick jake just cause his attitude is atleast JUST a little better than Yngwie. Both are great players. Though Yngwies Albums get as boring as a bucket full of wet leaves

Killer of Giants

Postby Rock » Sun Apr 30, 2006 5:05 pm

MetalHead wrote:
crisguitar wrote:jake rules!!

yngwie rules!!

cris rules!!

you forgot me :P

and me :)

Killer of Giants

Postby MetalHead » Mon May 01, 2006 3:22 am

Rock wrote:
MetalHead wrote:
crisguitar wrote:jake rules!!

yngwie rules!!

cris rules!!

you forgot me :P

and me :)

you learn something new every day ;)
"Spend less time chasing tones and more time just playing music." - Marty Friedman

Postby lock2604 » Mon May 01, 2006 8:38 am

Jake is better, when Jake starts to play, no matter what band he is in, you can tell it is him. he just has a unique style that can't be copied. Yngwie is great also. but I can't tell his playing from other strat shredders who copy him.

Postby debaser » Tue May 02, 2006 1:43 pm

lock2604 wrote:Jake is better, when Jake starts to play, no matter what band he is in, you can tell it is him. he just has a unique style that can't be copied. Yngwie is great also. but I can't tell his playing from other strat shredders who copy him.

I am still not weighing in on this question, but I will say that if you can't tell Yngwie from any other shredder, then you have no ear for vibrato.

I agree that Jake has a very identifiable style, from his note choice to the way he grabs the neck, pick attack, etc. However, if Coltrane can be imitated, anyone can.

All Access Member

Postby PoetsandMadmen » Wed May 03, 2006 6:27 am

lock2604 wrote:Jake is better, when Jake starts to play, no matter what band he is in, you can tell it is him. he just has a unique style that can't be copied. Yngwie is great also. but I can't tell his playing from other strat shredders who copy him.

Roy Z likes to imitate Jake's style and does it quite well. If you don't believe me, then listen to the song I'm A Warrior from Rob Rock's Holy Hell album. I believe you'll agree with me.

As for Yngwie, I can pick out his playing from his guitar tone alone. There's a ton of shredders I know, but I've never heard a dead ringer for Yngwie. If there is, then let me know who it is.

All Access Member

Postby Stargazer » Wed May 03, 2006 10:01 am

That was very tough but I chose Jake.

Killer of Giants

Postby frethead » Wed May 03, 2006 11:26 am

That's a tough one. Let's see . . . I've been listening and examining Yngwie's playing for longer than I've been listening and examining Jake's playing. They both maintain a rockin' appearance. Both have distinct playing styles; one essentially a very American, blues/ pentatonic scale based "feel" player, while the other exhibits a very European, exotic scale based essence, whose music follows a decidedly regimented formality. Holy crap! I appreciate them both very much for being bold, loud and proud!!! If you can't hear a difference between Yngwie's and sellout/ copycats' playing, there is certainly a problem with your attention.

Postby debaser » Thu May 04, 2006 8:06 am

I tihnk it's interesting that some people are describing Jake's playing as pentatonic and feel-based. Not that I disagree entirely - the Badlands stuff definitely has elements of that approach. His Ozzy stuff seems pretty scalar to me, though, and even the Badlands solos - Winter's Call, and Shine On for example- that feature a lot of pentatonics come across as more modal because he always throws in something "out"(the b9 at the beginning of the solo in Winter's Call is a good example). Plus, his phrasing is rhythmically insane. For a rock guy, he reminds me of early John McLaughlin in the best possible way.

I think a more interesting comparison than Jake and Yngwie would be Jake and George Lynch, or Warren Dimartini because they all have that LA vibe to their playing.

Postby van_halen_kid » Sat May 06, 2006 9:00 am

Yngwie is just too arrogant for me. Plus jake just has a feel that yngwie doesnt have.

All Access Member

Postby Gutterflower » Sat May 06, 2006 2:48 pm

JAKE

Yes, Yngwie's a guitar god-yada yada yada-but so is Jake, and I prefer him. His style, tone and feel is much more heartfelt and soulful, to me. Yngwie can play a million miles an hour but I'm over that :) I don't know anything about technique or scales, etc because I'm no musician. All I know is what I like!

Killer of Giants

Postby stratattack » Sat May 06, 2006 7:44 pm

van_halen_kid wrote:Yngwie is just too arrogant for me. Plus jake just has a feel that yngwie doesnt have.

WHAT and EVH isnt arrogent!!!! EVH is A dick YJM is actualy a funny guy!!! :evil:
The artist formally known as Brawler

PreviousNext

Return to All things Jake E Lee...