Jake vs. Jake

Here we discuss topics related to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

Jake vs. Jake ?

BATM Tour
43%
TUS Tour
57%

Total votes : 23
Killer of Giants

Jake vs. Jake

Postby MetalHead » Tue May 02, 2006 1:02 pm

I've been thinking about this for a while.
I dig Jake as much as the next guy, but there's a big difference in his sound between these two albums/tours and I'd like to know
which era you prefer ?... soundwise.

I'm rooting for the BATM tour era :D
"Spend less time chasing tones and more time just playing music." - Marty Friedman

Re: Jake vs. Jake

Postby CommanderColby » Tue May 02, 2006 1:20 pm

Jake played on the BATM tour like he had something to prove.

But the Ultimate Sin songs were better.

I'm giving it to the BATM era, just because of the live footage from that era that I've seen tends to be better than the TUS live stuff.
The user formerly known as Commander Colby.

Killer of Giants

Postby mrmetal » Tue May 02, 2006 1:33 pm

Have to go for BATM on this one. I saw both tours and it is hard to choose really. I just like the songs on BATM better than TUS.

Killer of Giants

Postby Doobie » Tue May 02, 2006 1:48 pm

Man, this is just a mean question, making me choose and all . . . eenie meanie jelly beanie . . . BATM. That's my final answer, Meredith.
(can't wait for the badlands vs. wicked alliance thread)

All Access Member

Postby pejale » Tue May 02, 2006 3:56 pm

It's got to be the Ultimate Sin tour for me. Jake's playing and stage presence for me are far superior to the Bark at the Moon era. I have a dvd of Jake/Ozzy in Detroit in 1986 and Jake is simply dynamite.

Killer of Giants

Postby stratattack » Tue May 02, 2006 4:25 pm

Ill have to go with BATM as well!
The artist formally known as Brawler

Rock N' Roll Rebel

Postby Mstp34 » Tue May 02, 2006 6:38 pm

Ultimate Sin

Killer of Giants

Postby crisguitar » Wed May 03, 2006 5:32 am

i was confused..how can i compare 1 good sound to another...all ill say is the sound on waiting 4 darkness is just as good lightening strikes...whooo no's

All Access Member

Postby PoetsandMadmen » Wed May 03, 2006 6:20 am

Bark At The Moon, no doubt about it! It took me about a second to answer that question! :-)

All Access Member

Postby PoetsandMadmen » Wed May 03, 2006 6:22 am

CommanderColby wrote:Jake played on the BATM tour like he had something to prove.

I totally agree with you with this part of the post, but I couldn't disagree more about TUS songs being better. How do you figure that?

Postby CommanderColby » Wed May 03, 2006 9:18 am

PoetsandMadmen wrote:
CommanderColby wrote:Jake played on the BATM tour like he had something to prove.

I totally agree with you with this part of the post, but I couldn't disagree more about TUS songs being better. How do you figure that?

Because of garbage like "So tired". It's such a dynamite piece of crap and I can't believe it was actually a single. And "You're no different", man, Jake's playing is the only thing that saves that song. "Now you see it" is kind of generic. "Spiders" and "Waiting for Darkness" are cool, but just about everything on TUS is packed with riffs and solos that are better than those. "BATM", "Rock n roll rebel", and "Centre of eternity" are as good as anything on TUS, but too bad Jake's buried under fruity keyboards.

You can get half way into The ultimate sin before you realize that it rocks way harder than BATM.

And it used to be here that most people would agree with me that TUS is the stronger album. :wink:

Rock N' Roll Rebel

Postby Stratmaster90 » Wed May 03, 2006 9:35 am

But the tone on BATM is closer to what we know Jake to really claim as "His Tone" where as on TUS it seemed to be more polished and slick not raw like BATM.
2 Cents....

Stratmaster90

All Access Member

Postby Stargazer » Wed May 03, 2006 9:59 am

The Ultimate Sin. Jake wrote a ton of that album....much more than Ozzy did. I liked his solos better on that album too. BATM had some great solos on and songs but TUS era Jake wins this for me. I think Jake's solos got better live aswell and the solos in Killer Of Giants, Lightning Strikes, Never, Secret Loser, Shot In The Dark, Never Know Why and Fool Like You are all brilliant.

Killer of Giants

Postby frethead » Wed May 03, 2006 10:34 am

Well . . . this could take a BARRRRRRK. Ahem. Excuse me. Bark at the Moon had the energy and excitement of new fire. Jake E. Lee was introduced on the guitar side of the headphones as the new fire wielding, California style, heavy metal riff slinger. And, Jake's style of playing/ songs come(s) at you like a runaway train!!! The Ultimate Sin, to me, is over produced - all glossy and polished. I remember whenever I walked into a record store back then, there was usually someone behind the register wearing parachute pants playing something like The Psychadelic Furs or Duran Duran or some faggy pink and all-over softness music. I would walk out of there in the blur of hightened testosterone, a chip on my shoulder, and something with a dark color-dominant cover. The Ultimate Sin doesn't do that.

Postby CommanderColby » Wed May 03, 2006 10:40 am

Stratmaster90 wrote:But the tone on BATM is closer to what we know Jake to really claim as "His Tone" where as on TUS it seemed to be more polished and slick not raw like BATM.
2 Cents....

Stratmaster90

That's great. Doesn't change the fact that it's buried in the mix more than he is on TUS. I can't think of an instance on TUS where the keyboards overpower Jake, but unfortunately it happends a lot on the non-remaster of BATM.

And since the BATM tone has so much delay and flanger in it, it can definitely be described as anything but "raw". :lol:

Next

Return to All things Jake E Lee...