What's happened to the traditional sounds of hard rock/

Here we discuss topics unrelated to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

All Access Member

What's happened to the traditional sounds of hard rock/

Postby PoetsandMadmen » Tue May 09, 2006 6:08 am

Jake fans, what's happened to the big drums, big production, and guitar solos in hard rock/metal :?:

What the heck has happened to having hair and looking like a rock band instead of a college fraternity :?:

Do you think "true metal" will ever be at the fore front of the U.S. music scene again :?:

SOMEBODY SAAAAAVE ME :!: :!: :!: :!: :D

Re: What's happened to the traditional sounds of hard r

Postby Fretman » Tue May 09, 2006 7:50 am

I see signs of a recovery here and there, but the scene is obviously still trying to recover from the Nirvana movement. I listen to The Boneyard, Sqizz and Liquid Metal on XM every day in my car so my music is on the radio all of the time...and with limited interuptions. 8)

Killer of Giants

Postby mrmetal » Tue May 09, 2006 11:18 am

Damn Madman, did that new of House of Lords cause you to go into the rant. :D

All Access Member

Postby PoetsandMadmen » Tue May 09, 2006 12:55 pm

mrmetal wrote:Damn Madman, did that new of House of Lords cause you to go into the rant. :D

:lol: No, if each new effort was that solid, the music scene would be in good shape! Seriously though, the reason why I posted this was to simply get some feedback/thoughts of folks here on the message board.

Traditional metal is alive and well over seas, but it's basically underground here in the states. Do all of you think it will come around to the mainstream again?

Killer of Giants

Postby Doobie » Tue May 09, 2006 3:19 pm

I, personally, think it will. If we could get all the girls that copied my daughter's bring-back-the-80's clothing style this year to copy her music taste, we'd have Indiana whooped back into it. I'm doing my part to revive it - I'm highly recommending a BIG hairdo for her prom "do". Straight-legged jeans are making a comeback (can't wait to see these kids try to squeeze into those after they've grown up wearing those saggy-ass jeans!!), spandex & boots are back ... hopefully it's just a matter of time 'til the music returns.

All Access Member

Postby Gutterflower » Tue May 09, 2006 4:39 pm

Music is cyclical. It'll emerge from the underground again and hard rock will rule the planet once more. I have hope. :)

All Access Member

Postby RandyRhoadsRules! » Wed May 10, 2006 2:09 am

80s hair metal is REALLY making a comeback. Bands like Motley Crue, Poison, and Bon Jovi are still up high on the charts. Mindcrime II did well and even new glam bands likeCrashdiet (R.I.P. Dave Lepard) were doing great their debut in 05 a sleaze classic hit #12 on teh Swedish Charts (Metalhead you should know this!) and well. Im thinking this is just the start of something new the rap is dying down and rock n roll is coming back into play its all going to fall into place. Hair Spray and Jack Daniels will rule the world once again!

All Access Member

Postby PoetsandMadmen » Wed May 10, 2006 6:24 am

Ahhhh, I'm not really looking to the hair spray and Jack Daniels so to speak. I look for more of a traditional sound to come back, kind of in the vein of Buckcherry I guess. Not that I'm a fan of that band, by any stretch. I think more of the what I refer to as sleaze rock or trailer park rock will make more of a showing within the next few years. I believe people are getting tired of the hum drum emo bands, etc.

I honestly don't think my kind of hard rock/metal will ever be in the forefront of our state side music scene. One or two of those bands might have minimal success over here, but for the most part, they're too talented for our music executives! :-) The one European band that I think is capable of pulling off some large success in the states is Edguy. Believe me, that's what Tobias Samment wants too! With that said, Edguy has had to really compromise their original sound in an attempt to gain popularity in the states. I don't think they've played in front of the right people yet, but I believe it'll happen for them.

All Access Member

Postby yankee » Wed May 10, 2006 10:50 pm

I do believe it's coming back.
Do any of you guys watch VH1 classic?
They have some great metal shows! Lots of great 80's bands touring again
I love it.

All Access Member

Postby RandyRhoadsRules! » Thu May 11, 2006 12:41 am

PoetsandMadmen wrote:Ahhhh, I'm not really looking to the hair spray and Jack Daniels so to speak. I look for more of a traditional sound to come back, kind of in the vein of Buckcherry I guess. Not that I'm a fan of that band, by any stretch. I think more of the what I refer to as sleaze rock or trailer park rock will make more of a showing within the next few years. I believe people are getting tired of the hum drum emo bands, etc.

I honestly don't think my kind of hard rock/metal will ever be in the forefront of our state side music scene. One or two of those bands might have minimal success over here, but for the most part, they're too talented for our music executives! :-) The one European band that I think is capable of pulling off some large success in the states is Edguy. Believe me, that's what Tobias Samment wants too! With that said, Edguy has had to really compromise their original sound in an attempt to gain popularity in the states. I don't think they've played in front of the right people yet, but I believe it'll happen for them.

Well some of your bands like Axel Rudi Pell are still doing pretty well. I dunno

Rock N' Roll Rebel

Postby Thajan » Thu May 11, 2006 4:57 am

*sighs* I hear the same old song all over again. :roll:

First you got to understand this: Music Evolves, whether this happens in a good way you decide but it evolves.

Second: No one wants to hear the same thing over and over and OVER again!

I'm not saying I don't like the era of those good 'ol hardrock days but that's why I have some DVD's with old concerts or some old cd's.

The solo subject has often been repeated and I admit it was gone from the "mainstream rock/metal" but didn't ever leave. Right now the Rock/metal scene has enough bands who are playing solo's:
Avenged Sevenfold (allthough I think they're crap), Arch Enemy, Nevermore, The Darkness, Elvenking etc.

All Access Member

Postby PoetsandMadmen » Thu May 11, 2006 5:59 am

Thajan wrote:*sighs* I hear the same old song all over again. :roll:

First you got to understand this: Music Evolves, whether this happens in a good way you decide but it evolves.

I'm not saying I don't like the era of those good 'ol hardrock days but that's why I have some DVD's with old concerts or some old cd's.

The solo subject has often been repeated and I admit it was gone from the "mainstream rock/metal" but didn't ever leave. Right now the Rock/metal scene has enough bands who are playing solo's:
Avenged Sevenfold (allthough I think they're crap), Arch Enemy, Nevermore, The Darkness, Elvenking etc.

Well, the only one out of your short list I would say is considered mainstream is The Darkness. Arch Enemy can play for sure, but couldn't sing their way out of a paper bag! Nevermore is a decent sounding band, but nothing really anything ground breaking. I don't have a clue who Elvenking is, so you'll have to enlighten me about as to who they are.

All Access Member

Postby PoetsandMadmen » Thu May 11, 2006 6:02 am

RandyRhoadsRules! wrote:
PoetsandMadmen wrote:Ahhhh, I'm not really looking to the hair spray and Jack Daniels so to speak. I look for more of a traditional sound to come back, kind of in the vein of Buckcherry I guess. Not that I'm a fan of that band, by any stretch. I think more of the what I refer to as sleaze rock or trailer park rock will make more of a showing within the next few years. I believe people are getting tired of the hum drum emo bands, etc.

Well some of your bands like Axel Rudi Pell are still doing pretty well. I dunno

Axel is unknown over here though. They probably don't do as well as you think they do overseas. To my knowledge they don't sell out large venues like Within Temptation, Stratovarius, or Edguy. Axel mainly tours small clubs over in Europe.

Rock N' Roll Rebel

Postby Thajan » Thu May 11, 2006 7:02 am

PoetsandMadmen wrote:
Thajan wrote:*sighs* I hear the same old song all over again. :roll:

Well, the only one out of your short list I would say is considered mainstream is The Darkness. Arch Enemy can play for sure, but couldn't sing their way out of a paper bag! Nevermore is a decent sounding band, but nothing really anything ground breaking. I don't have a clue who Elvenking is, so you'll have to enlighten me about as to who they are.

Hold on you talk about groundbreaking while your topic is about the "Traditional sounds of hard rock" :roll: And I believe Nevermore did/does some groundbreaking work in mixing different Metal styles and while doing so also incorparating complex songstructures and technical solos in their music without sounding boring. ( the latter part is something that Dream Theater is yet to achive)

Elvenking is a folk/powermetal group which I thought was from Italy (but I could be wrong about that). Talking about Powermetal bands, they almost always incorpate solos in their songs and the powermetal scene is growing again. Dungeon (now under the name of "Lord Tim"), Brainstorm and a few who I forgot all mix a classic Powermetal sound with some tasty solo's.

As for the mainstream part, to me Heavy Metal never really was or is a mainstream genre sure you have a Metal band that scores a hit but this is either Metallica or a Nu-metal band (the latter is even questionable if it even IS metal...).

Killer of Giants

Postby mrmetal » Thu May 11, 2006 7:22 am

I agree with you Thajan, Nevermore does some pretty elaborate stuff. I really liked SANCTUARY when Warrel Dane was fronting that band too.

Next

Return to Free for all...