Viv hates metal! What?

Here we discuss topics unrelated to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

All Access Member

Viv hates metal! What?

Postby PoetsandMadmen » Wed May 17, 2006 11:51 am

Vivian Campbell commenting: "It's so weird, man. I meet people and they're all like, 'Dude, Holy Diver, metal! And I hate metal music. It's true that in the 80s I wanted to play like [metal fret-meisters] Yngwie Malmsteen and Paul Gilbert and all those cats. But that stuff does not endure. It's really impressive for the first 20 seconds. But I can still go back and listen to [David Bowie's late guitarist] Mick Ronson and be totally blown away every time."

Yep, I read this today on MelodicRock.com. Here's the link.

http://www.melodicrock.com/

Killer of Giants

Re: Viv hates metal! What?

Postby Deansolo » Wed May 17, 2006 4:11 pm

Although I love Metal.....I know where Viv's coming from. Mick Ronson still blows me away too! :)
www.cats-eyeesp.com
www.myspace.com/catseyeesp

Have you hugged your Cat's-Eye pedal today?

Killer of Giants

Postby mrmetal » Thu May 18, 2006 7:36 am

That is not the first time Viv has ran his mouth about the music that got him noticed. Fuck Vivian Campbell. He deserves playing back up to Phil Collen in shitty ass Def Leppard.

Killer of Giants

Postby Doobie » Thu May 18, 2006 11:11 am

mrmetal, that's what I was thinking, too.
hmmmm, I wonder if he's better of financially today or back in his metal days ... hmmmm.

Postby Fretman » Thu May 18, 2006 1:32 pm

On the one hand he says he doesn't like metal, but then on the other he says that only recently has he really started to appreciate the music he made with Dio. So which is it Viv?

Killer of Giants

Postby Deansolo » Thu May 18, 2006 2:23 pm

Don't hate man,....peoples tastes sometimes change. Although I think he should be proud of his earlier work, he's still a damn fine guitarist IMO.

Disclaimer: Dont shoot me...I'm just the....well you know what I mean. :)
www.cats-eyeesp.com
www.myspace.com/catseyeesp

Have you hugged your Cat's-Eye pedal today?

All Access Member

Postby skrapmetal » Thu May 18, 2006 7:37 pm

I agree Viv is still a great player, I think he just showed more of his talent when he was in Dio.

Killer of Giants

Postby frethead » Thu May 18, 2006 7:44 pm

Vivian Campbell is still the fastest guitar player I've ever heard, and I was really hoping that his presence in Def Leppard would kick in a little of the original rockin' spirit, when he joined. He had already kind-of changed, as well, they had. O, well. May you rest in peace, Steve Clark. I mean . . . Def Leppard is still the world's greatest rock'n roll band, and I can appreciate alot of their "fluffier" stuff, musically. As for the music he chooses to create with Def Leppard . . . certainly wholesome, but, it does become tiresome. Hey, in the very least, it's not frrrkin' "Yo, Pepto Bismol"!!!

Killer of Giants

Postby mrmetal » Thu May 18, 2006 8:01 pm

Deansolo wrote:Don't hate man,....

I'm not hatin'. I just strongly disagree with Mr. Campbell's stupid ass opinion.

Killer of Giants

Postby mrmetal » Thu May 18, 2006 8:08 pm

frethead wrote:Vivian Campbell is still the fastest guitar player I've ever heard, and I was really hoping that his presence in Def Leppard would kick in a little of the original rockin' spirit, when he joined.

I was waiting on that too and it never happend. His best work was with Dio and instead of saying, "yeah we wrote some great music back then", he puts it down.

Killer of Giants

Postby Doobie » Fri May 19, 2006 8:52 am

frethead wrote:I mean . . . Def Leppard is still the world's greatest rock'n roll band

WHATEVAH!!

Killer of Giants

Postby mrmetal » Fri May 19, 2006 9:09 am

Doobie wrote:
frethead wrote:I mean . . . Def Leppard is still the world's greatest rock'n roll band

WHATEVAH!!

You don't buy into that logic or what Doob? I wasn't much for Leppard after High and Dry. It all started going down hill after Pyromania for me. Has anyone heard the new one? All I heard was Don't Believe a Word...It wasn't bad, the guitar playing was good and Joe sang OK...but it is still a cover song. What is up with all these dudes doing cover songs? Are they out of ideas?

Killer of Giants

Postby Doobie » Fri May 19, 2006 11:37 am

mrmetal wrote:
Doobie wrote:

WHATEVAH!!

You don't buy into that logic or what Doob?

lol How'd ya guess? I'm not saying I never rocked out to a couple of their songs but, yes, I strongly disagree that they are "the world's greatest rock 'n roll band". The only one of their songs that was like whoa! to me was Let It Go off their first. Now THAT one rocked. Yes indeedy !!

All Access Member

Postby jimiforrest » Fri May 19, 2006 4:23 pm

Actually, their first record was "On Through The Night" but I agree Let It Go was a great tune. As for Viv...his best playing was with Dio but I think his best overall package was Riverdogs...great songwriting and a very mature guitar package. Just my two cents.

Jimi

Killer of Giants

Postby mrmetal » Fri May 19, 2006 4:32 pm

jimiforrest wrote: As for Viv...his best playing was with Dio but I think his best overall package was Riverdogs...great songwriting and a very mature guitar package. Just my two cents.

Jimi

Riverdogs was OK, I liked the unplugged CD better than the studio album...

What is a mature guitar package? Anything that is not metal? :wink:

Next

Return to Free for all...