here's a topic we all know something about!

Here we discuss topics unrelated to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

Killer of Giants

Re: here's a topic we all know something about!

Postby frethead » Sun May 21, 2006 4:21 pm

Hey Dean, sorry about the hit or miss communique. That was funnier than hell, though! Wasn't it?! Boiled peanuts are a traditionally favorite munchie all over the Southeast, as I imagine chicarones ( sp? I tried) and tamales are more toward the Southwest. They have a distinct flavor which is hard to describe . . . well . . . there's something about the - you've got to try 'em. ( Imagine trying to describe the flavor and texture of shrimp or lobster to someone who's never eaten seafood!) I usually digress into a pattern of eating handfuls of them, shell and all. ( Not a fitting practice to conversational situations.) Also, I wouldn't recommend eating boiled peanuts with beer, if you like your beer, since the flavor of beer is completely dominated by the flavor of boiled peanuts. The spicier boiled peanuts can work up some serious gas for you, on the other hand!!! BTW Boiled peanuts can work themselves into the smell of warm hell ( something just isn't right about that!), if left for too long. BEWARE.
Last edited by frethead on Tue May 23, 2006 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Killer of Giants

Postby Deansolo » Sun May 21, 2006 5:06 pm

frethead wrote:Hey Dean, sorry about the hit or miss communique. That was funnier than hell, though! Wasn't it?! Boiled peanuts are a traditionally favorite munchie all over the Southeast, as I imagine chicarones ( sp? I tried) and tamales are more toward the Southwest. They have a distinct flavor which is hard to describe . . . well . . . there's something about the - you've got to try 'em. ( Imagine trying to describe the flavor and texture of shrimp or lobster to someone who's never eaten seafood!) I usually digress into a pattern of eating handfuls of them, shell and all. ( Not a fitting practice to conversational situations.) Also, I wouldn't recommend eating boiled peanuts with beer, if you like your beer, since the flavor of beer is completely dominated by the flavor of boiled peanuts. The spicier boiled peanuts can work up some serious gas for you, on the other hand!!! BTW Boiled peanuts can work themselves into the smell of warm hell ( something just isn't right about that!) if left for too long. Beware.

"Smell of Warm Hell"!! lol! :lol: :D
www.cats-eyeesp.com
www.myspace.com/catseyeesp

Have you hugged your Cat's-Eye pedal today?

Killer of Giants

Postby Deansolo » Mon May 22, 2006 4:43 pm

I was just thinking about the boiled peanuts when I remembered another unusual snack................A peanut butter and sweet pickle sandwich. Has anyone ever tried it? It's quite good actually. I thought it sounded disgusting at first, but as they say, "The proof of the pudding is in the eating".

Anyway, I had this girlfriend whose mother used to make them for us when we had the munchies....Her mom was from Baltimore and said she used to eat them growing up. I remember her saying that any 'sweet' pickle will do...from "sweet baby gerkins" to the "bread and butter" types, just add the pickle as you would jelly or jam. PB&SP!

My question is: Is this also a regional favorite? Like I said before,.. I grew up in SoCal and was not familiar with this unusual combination.

Anyone?
www.cats-eyeesp.com

Rock N' Roll Rebel

Postby Mstp34 » Mon May 22, 2006 7:35 pm

Never had peanut butter and pickle sandwich before

All Access Member

Postby Gutterflower » Mon May 22, 2006 8:07 pm

Deansolo wrote:I was just thinking about the boiled peanuts when I remembered another unusual snack................A peanut butter and sweet pickle sandwich. Has anyone ever tried it? It's quite good actually. I thought it sounded disgusting at first, but as they say, "The proof of the pudding is in the eating".

Anyway, I had this girlfriend whose mother used to make them for us when we had the munchies....Her mom was from Baltimore and said she used to eat them growing up. I remember her saying that any 'sweet' pickle will do...from "sweet baby gerkins" to the "bread and butter" types, just add the pickle as you would jelly or jam. PB&SP!

My question is: Is this also a regional favorite? Like I said before,.. I grew up in SoCal and was not familiar with this unusual combination.

Anyone?

I've lived in Maryland most of my life, but I've never heard of a peanut butter and sweet pickle sandwich before. I'd much rather have a crabcake. :) One regional favorite around here is sauerkraut as a side dish with turkey at Thanksgiving. blehhh...I don't do sauerkraut.

When I went to Memphis, I saw fried pickles on menus. I'd never heard of that, but I didn't try it cuz I don't like pickles either.

Killer of Giants

Postby Deansolo » Mon May 22, 2006 9:59 pm

Mstp34 wrote:Never had peanut butter and pickle sandwich before

You really must try one! Just remember to use "sweet pickles". Dill pickles and peanut butter are not a very palatable combination! :)

Oh and white bread...it must be on white bread.
www.cats-eyeesp.com

Killer of Giants

Postby Deansolo » Mon May 22, 2006 10:10 pm

Gutterflower wrote:
Deansolo wrote:I was just thinking about the boiled peanuts when I remembered another unusual snack................A peanut butter and sweet pickle sandwich. Has anyone ever tried it? It's quite good actually. I thought it sounded disgusting at first, but as they say, "The proof of the pudding is in the eating".

Anyone?

I've lived in Maryland most of my life, but I've never heard of a peanut butter and sweet pickle sandwich before. I'd much rather have a crabcake. :) One regional favorite around here is sauerkraut as a side dish with turkey at Thanksgiving. blehhh...I don't do sauerkraut.

When I went to Memphis, I saw fried pickles on menus. I'd never heard of that, but I didn't try it cuz I don't like pickles either.

Oh yeah, the crabcakes!!! The crabcakes rocked! I remember she used Blue Crabs sent from Maryland packed in dry ice and plenty of "Old Bay" seasoning! Oh man, my mouth is watering just thinking about 'em!

As you may have noticed, I like all things pickled with a beer...but I've never had the desire to try a fried pickle. THAT sounds disgusting!! They have 'em at the County Fair here in the summer....Fried pickle and beer...Forget it! :D
www.cats-eyeesp.com

All Access Member

Postby Gutterflower » Tue May 23, 2006 2:27 am

I've seen fried twinkies, too! I haven't had the nerve to try one of those-you might as well eat a handful of grease :lol:

Crabcakes with plenty of Old Bay...mmm...there are a couple of big crab feasts around here this coming weekend. You just sit and drink beer and crack all day long. It's fun! Or just get a bushel and invite some friends over-crabs are cheaper this year because there's a big surplus.

Killer of Giants

Postby stratattack » Tue May 23, 2006 7:12 am

Man I hope you all have very Strong Bathroom sprays ! LOL!!!!
The artist formally known as Brawler

Killer of Giants

Postby frethead » Tue May 23, 2006 2:25 pm

The Fisherman's Net on the beach, in Flagler Beach, make the best crabcakes I've ever eaten. They're called "Maryland crabcakes," on the menu. Mmm, crabcakes. Crabcakes. May I?! Crabcakes.

Killer of Giants

Postby Deansolo » Wed May 24, 2006 5:10 am

What about fish tacos? They're all the rage here in San Diego. Anybody like fish tacos?
www.cats-eyeesp.com

Killer of Giants

Postby stratattack » Wed May 24, 2006 7:38 am

someone light a match!!!!
The artist formally known as Brawler

Killer of Giants

Postby mrmetal » Wed May 24, 2006 10:34 am

Deansolo wrote:What about fish tacos? They're all the rage here in San Diego. Anybody like fish tacos?

Very popular here as well. I will resist from making a very tastless joke, but it sure is tempting. :twisted:

Killer of Giants

Postby Deansolo » Wed May 24, 2006 2:36 pm

mrmetal wrote:
Deansolo wrote:What about fish tacos? They're all the rage here in San Diego. Anybody like fish tacos?

Very popular here as well. I will resist from making a very tastless joke, but it sure is tempting. twisted
:lol: Hahahaha! :lol: That same tateless joke passed thru my mind a couple times as well after I asked the question! :D
www.cats-eyeesp.com

Killer of Giants

Postby frethead » Thu May 25, 2006 5:20 pm

Aside with your tasteless joking, dudes! My wife reminded me of another peculiarly interesting sandwich . . . Elvis loved eating peanut butter, banana and mayonnaise sandwiches, typical enough; yet, he liked the outer sides to be fried in butter, "grilled cheese" style! Fish tacos. ( O, brother.)
Last edited by frethead on Mon Jun 05, 2006 1:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PreviousNext

Return to Free for all...