Les Pauls or Strats

Here we discuss topics unrelated to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

Killer of Giants

Les Pauls or Strats

Postby stratattack » Sun May 28, 2006 10:44 am

This one was a tough one for me seeings that I own both ! but if I had only one to choose? it would be my Les Pauls . 8)
what about the rest of you...
The artist formally known as Brawler

Killer of Giants

Re: Les Pauls or Strats

Postby MetalHead » Sun May 28, 2006 11:08 am

Les Paul
"Spend less time chasing tones and more time just playing music." - Marty Friedman

All Access Member

Postby pejale » Sun May 28, 2006 2:27 pm

Gotta go on Les Pauls on this. THE rock 'n' roll guitar in my opinion. I'd love to hear Jake play one. 8)

Killer of Giants

Postby Deansolo » Sun May 28, 2006 2:35 pm

Oh man, the dreaded "Les Paul or Strat" question!

Without going waaay into it.....I like the tone and playability of the Les Paul but I don't like the weight.

I like the contoured body of the Strat but I don't like the neck and curved fingerboard.

With that said...If I had to choose, I'd pick the Les Paul.
www.cats-eyeesp.com
www.myspace.com/catseyeesp

Have you hugged your Cat's-Eye pedal today?

All Access Member

Postby harddriver » Sun May 28, 2006 10:52 pm

Ok i dont know if im aloud to answer this question since ive never even picked up a guitar but here is my 2 cents. les pauls seem to me to have a thicker sound and strats seem to be a little whiny sounding do ya know what i mean :? well like i said ive never even picked up a guitar but i do pay attention to what my favorite musicians play so il have to say Les Pauls.

Rock N' Roll Rebel

Postby Highwire » Mon May 29, 2006 6:59 am

Sound-Les Paul

Playing comfort-Strat

Solution-Mahogany S-type body w/humbuckers, hardtail bridge, flatter fretboard (and Gibson scale if desired).

A friend of mine makes custom guitars and I've played a few of his S-Types. They kill any Fender. :mrgreen:
"I could swear I heard the darkness call my name..."
Devil's Stomp

Killer of Giants

Postby frethead » Mon May 29, 2006 8:35 am

I, too, have a hard time with the inherent whine of a Stratocaster, and damn, that thing is skinny! (Hence, the irritating whine.) The curved fingerboard is the product of a vivid and creative imagination, works really well in theory, but is a big NO-NO. Nay, the characteristic that pretty much puts it away for me is the scale length of the Strats. I do appreciate the, albeit narrow, versatility of tone, contoured body, and that Strat "spank" ( which I actually get out of one of my LPs). Additionally, that must be about the coolest name that anyone could ever have put on an electric guitar. "Stratocaster." However, and with no regrets, Leo, I don't see replacing my Les Pauls with Stratocasters, like . . . ever. Er, never. Screw it . . . Les Pauls Rule! Yeah!!! Les Pauls all the way!! Go Gibson! And, Pauly Shore! Right on!! Yeah, The wea sel!!! chick-a-chick-a-chick-chick!!! And, uhhh Sen. John McCain is moving to the White House!! Finally! Yay!

Killer of Giants

Postby mrmetal » Mon May 29, 2006 8:51 am

harddriver wrote:les pauls seem to me to have a thicker sound and strats seem to be a little whiny sounding do ya know what i mean :?

That pretty much sums it up harddriver.

Les Paul for me.

Killer of Giants

Postby Moose6 » Mon May 29, 2006 9:14 am

Okay, then lets find the best of both worlds - comfort of a strat with the playability and tone of a paul... hmmmmm... Gibson SG!!!

Killer of Giants

Postby stratattack » Mon May 29, 2006 2:00 pm

SG's are too thin for me plus they just dont have the tone of a Les Paul thats why I gave mine to my little brother then he went and got a prs man I dont know which is worse!!!! LOL!!!!
I am A les paul guy all the way the strats I do have I dont really use anymore they are getting to fragile and valuable to use all the time.
Last edited by stratattack on Mon May 29, 2006 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Killer of Giants

Postby Deansolo » Mon May 29, 2006 6:11 pm

Humbucker, Flat Fingerboard, 24 frets and a trem with a locking feature.....That's the guitar for me (see avatar) :)
www.cats-eyeesp.com
www.myspace.com/catseyeesp

Have you hugged your Cat's-Eye pedal today?

Killer of Giants

Postby stratattack » Mon May 29, 2006 7:31 pm

the only guitarI still have with a floyd is my old Kramer Night swan and that thing if collecting dust!! has been for about 10 years .

Postby skezza » Tue May 30, 2006 11:47 am

Dont class me as a conformist, but i would not go with neither if i could have a choice. Im a Jackson man,
however I am a Randy Rhoads fan and I LOVE his Les Paul and i do like the good old les paul sound so yep, les paul for me however my old man would disagree :)

Killer of Giants

Postby johnthebrucelee » Wed May 31, 2006 12:42 am

I don't own a Les Paul, but I have played a Gibson Les Paul Studio that a friend of mine has. I like it, but I haven't played it enough to decide over the other. I have a Jackson RR-5 (Ivory) and a modified standard Fender Strat. I'm neutral.

Postby skezza » Wed May 31, 2006 12:32 pm

hey Johh, sorry to go off topic, but i wouldnt mind hearing a review about an RR5. I am a huge randy fan, but when i tried a Jap RR5. it was awful. No resinence in body, tone was crap, action was wrong although i can set that, intonation was all over the place, and the holes in the back where u thread the strings wernt level. whats yours like?

Next

Return to Free for all...