Jake E. Lee

Here we discuss topics related to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

All Access Member

Jake E. Lee

Postby pejale » Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:39 pm

Can any of you remember when you first really "discovered" Jake?
I remember being into Ozzy, but not realising who Randy Rhoads was until after i got into Jake,which was sometime inbetween Bark at the moon and The Ultimate sin,which is when i really started to get into guitarists,which is...... :?
What i'm trying to say,i think!!, is that although i was into Ozzy from virtually the beginning of his solo career, i seem to have taken to Jake's guitar playing more than Randy's and although i love Randy's stuff, there is just something about Jake that to this day, still keeps me listening to him :? :wink:

All Access Member

Re: Jake E. Lee

Postby Shadow » Thu Jun 22, 2006 3:05 pm

You were almost speaking like Elmer Fudd there, Pejale..-smile! I "love" Elmer so funny (so is Daffy Duck & Porky Pig) but eventually he does get his point across "Bless" his Heart. Anyway, to answer your question above when I first took "serious" note of Guitarist/Musician Jake E. Lee I do believe it was in 1985 although I've known/heard of him before hand when he was chosen back in 1983 to "join" Ozzy Osbourne band after the sad tragedy of legendary Rocker Guitarist/Musician Randy Rhoads untimely death. I "like and admire" all the Music Artists that are so mentioned here with the highest regards & respects. Each of these unique musicians Randy Rhoads, Jake E. Lee and Ozzy Osbourne (and other great musicians that worked with OZZY) are talented to the very "core" of their being/and I have always known of their rich Music qualities. Peace!

All Access Member

Postby pejale » Thu Jun 22, 2006 4:34 pm

Shadow, with all due respect, it takes me ages to read your threads and half the time i haven't got a clue what you're on about,but i do know Elmur Fudd and thank you for the comparison :D 8O 8O

They are all great guitarists, i can't even play the damn thing,so i can't really name -call anyone, I just seem to like Jake's playing better than others.

All Access Member

Postby Gutterflower » Thu Jun 22, 2006 4:59 pm

The first time that I heard Shot In The Dark was when I first noticed Jake. Then when I saw High Wire on Headbangers Ball, that did it for me. I wore out first the cassette (which I still have) and then the cd. :D I did the same when Voodoo Highway came out-I remember being SO excited, and racing to the mall to get it. That was when cds still came in those long sleeve boxes, and I saved it because the artwork was so cool.

Killer of Giants

Postby Deansolo » Thu Jun 22, 2006 6:47 pm

Jakes a local guy. I'd heard of him a few years before he got the Ozzy gig. 1st time I heard him was on BATM. Only time I've seen him play was at Us '83 and only from afar...and on 'shrooms, alcohol, and other granular substances :lol: .. so I really don't remember the whole experience very well,... which is why I don't talk about it much. :)
www.cats-eyeesp.com
www.myspace.com/catseyeesp

Have you hugged your Cat's-Eye pedal today?

All Access Member

Postby Gutterflower » Thu Jun 22, 2006 6:58 pm

Deansolo wrote:on 'shrooms, alcohol, and other granular substances :lol: .. so I really don't remember the whole experience very well,... which is why I don't talk about it much. :)

'shrooms will do that to ya! :wink:

All Access Member

Postby PoetsandMadmen » Fri Jun 23, 2006 6:06 am

I first discoverd Jake when I watched the BATM video on Headbanger's Ball. I actually didn't start appreciating his abilities until around 4 years ago though. That's why I wish he would tour again, so that I could see him live!

Rock N' Roll Rebel

Postby kt88 » Fri Jun 23, 2006 7:14 am

My brother had "Bark At The Moon" 8O

All Access Member

Postby dave1021 » Sat Jun 24, 2006 5:33 am

After my "Awakening" sometime in the mid 80's ( I got my first guitar in Dec '84 ) . I was listening to VH and Quiet Riot ( Bang Your Head!! yes I know the song is called" Metal Health". ) Then I saw the BATM video on " Headbangers Ball " and sometime shortly after that I heard / saw " Shot in the Dark ". Some time around then I started to eat, sleep, and breath guitar. I cut out every picture I could find of guitar players in " Circus " ( they used more live shots than studio photo's.) Jake's playing always hit me a something special, a cut above the rest, so when Ozzy fired him I was pissed. I didn't even like the stuff Zakk did for a few years. Then Badlands came out. Everyone else was trying to play as fast as possible but Jake seemed to be more focused on "heart and feel" than speed. It just hit a nerve with me. The only time I've seen Jake live was in the late 80's in Dayton in Badlands with Tesla and supposed to be Great White, but GW's singer was having throat problems and did not play so Badlands got to play a long set. :D That was part of the tour when Jake played in the knee brace. Anyone beside me remember that? And if so do you know why he was in a brace? I had heard that he injured his knee in a full contact martial arts thing and was wondering if it was true.
The blend of "heart" with the all the speed at your disposal if you so choose is the playing style I strive for as a musician ( still a work in progress ).
So that's the story of my exposure to Jake.
Hope you enjoy.

Dave
...And somebody said Fair Warning, Lord strike that poor boy down. Turned from hunted into hunter, went to hunt somebody down.--Van Halen

Killer of Giants

Postby Doobie » Sat Jun 24, 2006 7:45 am

I remember my brother bringing home the BATM album and calling me in to listen to it. Shortly thereafter, Oz and the Crue toured. Saw Jake at an outdoor concert for the first time live during the tour and never ever forgot him! After that concert it was "Ozzy who? Ahh, Ozzy ... the one with the fabulous axeman". Jake stole that show.

Here's a funny BATM memory I just flashed back to. During the BATM era we used to go to camping at a huge lake. One day, while on the beach, we were just chilling, catching some rays, when a group arrived and parked their beach spot behind ours. They had a battery operated boombox which we were glad to spot, seeing as how we left ours behind that day. Well, they popped in the BATM cassette and we're thinking "cool! People with musical taste behind us". Well, they played Rock 'n Roll Rebel. After the song finished, they hit rewind and played it again. After the song finished, they hit rewind and played it AGAIN. And over, and over and over again. My group, well, we're just looking at each other like WTF?!!!!!! Do they think that's the only song on the cassette?! So the next time the song was about to finish I walked over to them and asked them to let the entire cassette play, as the entire thing was excellent. They just looked at me - didn't say a word back. I thought my plea had failed, so me and the rest of the group I was with all went and got in the lake. When we got out and returned to our spot it was with a laugh I looked at the group behind us with. They were jamming to Centre of Eternity. Yea, they even started listening to the OTHER SIDE of the cassette that day, too!!!

Killer of Giants

Postby Doobie » Sat Jun 24, 2006 7:49 am

Gutterflower wrote:The first time that I heard Shot In The Dark was when I first noticed Jake. Then when I saw High Wire on Headbangers Ball, that did it for me. I wore out first the cassette (which I still have) and then the cd. :D I did the same when Voodoo Highway came out-I remember being SO excited, and racing to the mall to get it. That was when cds still came in those long sleeve boxes, and I saved it because the artwork was so cool.

That artwork is cool - it's pinned up in my work cube. :lol:

Postby BEERHOTFOOD » Sat Jun 24, 2006 8:21 am

FOR ME-IT WAS HEARING THE 83 US FESTIVAL LIVE ON MY RADIO-HEARING JAKES RAPID FIRE REPEATING RIFFS ON PARANOID, AND HIS LIVE SOLO BREAK ON SUICIDE SOLUTION.I MADE MY FINGERS BLEED TRYING TO DO THE THUMB ON THE FRETBOARD TRICK-BEEN PLAYING GUITAR FOR 26 YEARS, AND THE ONLY GUYYS THAT STILL INSPIRE ME ARE RANDY, RITCHIE, AND JAKE.
PAUL

Postby AndrewPike » Sun Aug 13, 2006 5:41 pm

...reading all these posts makes me feel like I just found my long lost family.

All Access Member

Postby Gutterflower » Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:00 pm

AndrewPike wrote:...reading all these posts makes me feel like I just found my long lost family.

Welcome, Brother Andrew! :wink:

Rock N' Roll Rebel

Postby guitarninja » Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:28 am

Seeing the ultimate sin tour in st. pete fl sep. '86 did it for me. can't believe that is 20 years ago-senior in high school etc. Had heard of jake a couple of years before that, knew the whole randy story and so on. Having been playing guitar for a year or so I realized just how talented he is, because I certainly am not. He had the ability , sound, stage presence, attitude and look that just reeled me in. Along the way I have become a huge fan of Priest, Maiden, Armored Saint, Dio etc, but above all else, Jake to me is the Baddest Man on the Planet. One thing we should all remember when we bitch that he is too introverted:we are a small group of extremely loyal fans that will stand by him even if he chooses to never play another note. The best example is like this: Everyone was a fan of Def Leppard's in 1988, Then everyone was a fan of G n' R in 1989 or Jackson's Thriller album-see the point, all those people jumped on the bandwagon, most of us have been jake fans for years and years .The fact that we don't hear much from him doesn't mean he forgot about us, he even gave a shout out on the inside cover of Retraced. This is a tight knit group of people whose loyalty to their favorite musician is as fierce as any I could imagine-be proud of who we are and who we admire.

Next

Return to All things Jake E Lee...