Bo Bice and Badlands....a cool story

Here we discuss topics related to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

Bo Bice and Badlands....a cool story

Postby aldear » Sat Jul 29, 2006 1:20 pm

Hi All,

I don't post here hardly at all, I am mostly a lurker, but yesterday something so cool happened to me and I have to share.

From the very beginning of the season of American Idol w/Bo Bice, during every episode I would always tell my wife "Man, that guy for some reason reminds me of Ray Gillan" of course she had no idea who that was until I explained it all to her. I couldn't put my finger on it, but I guess it was just his overall vibe. My wife got so sick of hearing that, EVERY episode, mainly because I am still a rabid Jake E. Lee fan! Then when Bo busted out that Badlands song a capella no less, well, I was overjoyed, for the same reason I am sure we all were! She was annoyed because, well....I was right, again.
Anyway, fast forward to yesterday. Bo Bice is in town playing a show, and they had him on one of the local teenybopper radio stations doing interviews. I was casually driving to the local outdoor theatre to se Def Leppard and Journey (which was a super rad show by the way) listening to the interview. Anyway, there were all these local morons calling up wanting to sing for him and get his opinion...I figured , "What the hell I'll call up and see if I can chat with him. So I dial the number....whoah... the phone is ringing....I can't believe it. DJ picks up and says "Mix Radio, can I help you?" I go "Yeah man, I understand Bo's in the station booth, can I chat with him?" He says "What do you want to ask him" I say "I want to talk to him about one of his song choices on the show" DJ says "OK, hold on" So, I sit in traffic waiting on m cell phone, and about 2 minutes later, I am on the phone with Bo Bice....dialogue goes like this (best I can remember this is very accurate).

Bo: Hey Brother, what's your name?

Andy: Dude my name's Andy and I am a huge fan, what's up?

Bo: Thanks for being a fan brother what's up with you?

Andy: Well, I have to tell you something.

Bo: Yeah? What's that?

Andy: Well, during every episode of the season you were on American Idol, my wife and I tuned in mainly to watch you, and I would always tell her "Man, that guy for some reason reminds me so much of Ray Gillan" I couldn't put my finger on it, but you did. I guess it was your overall vibe, song execution and personality.

Bo: Hhhmm.....Wow....

Andy: Then when you busted out that Badlands song, I went through the roof...just super stoked!

Bo: Wow! Thanks so much, you know, you have no idea how much that means to me...really. For the listeners who don't know, Badlands was a great group back in the eighties/early nineties that put out several albums, and you guys should check them out. Andy, you know Ray, just mean so much to me as a singer and a person. He was just an amazing singer and a really great spirit, and Jake E. Lee is an amzing guitar player.

Andy: Yeah, Jake is unreal. He and his music have been my best friend for 25 years, and Jake doesn't even know it.

Bo: Now, Let me tell you a story. A while back I was in a hotel room getting a massage before a show, yes I am not ashamed to admit it (laughter amongst us all)... and ironically it turns out one of the massouse's husband was really good friends with Ray. She went on about what great guy Ray was, and that he had a really great sense of humor, and what a fantastc singer he was, and just an overall great guy.

Andy: That's a great story man, listen I just wanted to tell you how much it meant to all of us Badlands fans and me personally that you did that song on America Idol. You brought so much recognition to a virtually unknown band and a 15 year old song in less than 5 minutes. Badlands was one of the greatest bands, that never got the credit they deserved, and I just really appreciate that very much, it really means a lot.

Bo: Well, you're welcome brother, and you have no idea how much it means to me that you compared me to Ray....and that you called to tell me that, That really means a lot to me, and I really appreciate the call.

Andy: You bet...have a good show tonight!

Bo: Thanks man, and God Bless you brother.

Meanwhile, I could tell by the deafening silence in the booth, that all of these hiphop playin' DJ's were sitting around picking their noses trying to figure out what the heck it was we were talking about, while Bo and I took a bitter sweet trip down memory lane. The sad part was they never played our dialogue on air, I guess because the content had no relevance to all the green haired tennyboppers that tune into that station.
I have to say, Bo was and is the real deal...very cool, very personable, and obviously a lover of great music...it made my night, I coudn't stop smiling. Not just because I spoke with Bo, but because it got me to thinking about the old days, and all the great memories I have of listenin to Jake and Ray. The Leppard/Journey concert was icing on the cake.

So I get to my wife's office and recount the stort for her and all her friends, and she was excited, but oh so annoyed...she kept saying "Awwww....you have a new friend" I replied Damn right, and who cares if he's an American Idol...... he's a Badlands Fan.

True Story....I swear.

Andy

All Access Member

Re: Bo Bice and Badlands....a cool story

Postby Charvelised » Sun Jul 30, 2006 12:58 am

He sounds Nothing like Ray..and it's GILLEN...

Killer of Giants

Postby Deansolo » Sun Jul 30, 2006 3:50 am

Cool story man! :D

You ought to get on the board and post more. :)
www.cats-eyeesp.com
www.myspace.com/catseyeesp

Have you hugged your Cat's-Eye pedal today?

Killer of Giants

Postby MetalHead » Sun Jul 30, 2006 7:22 am

I'm glad Bo didn't win ;)
"Spend less time chasing tones and more time just playing music." - Marty Friedman

Postby aldear » Sun Jul 30, 2006 9:54 am

Go back and read dude...I never said he SOUNDED like Ray, I said it was his overall vibe.
Gees, try to share a story and get blasted.....this is why I don't post.

Thanks Dean, I have been admiring your hardware for a while... at some point will give them a try.

Andy

All Access Member

Postby skrapmetal » Sun Jul 30, 2006 11:20 am

Thanks for posting that story , very cool. 8)

All Access Member

Postby dave1021 » Sun Jul 30, 2006 6:52 pm

I watched a lot of that season of American Idol , and missed that performance. I believe that it's on when my band is practicing. I either came in late or had to watch the highlights. Which Badlands song did Bo sing?

Dave
...And somebody said Fair Warning, Lord strike that poor boy down. Turned from hunted into hunter, went to hunt somebody down.--Van Halen

Postby aldear » Sun Jul 30, 2006 8:07 pm

He sang "In A Dream"

Andy

All Access Member

Postby Gutterflower » Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:31 am

Andy, that was a COOL story-thanks for posting it. It's nice to know that Bo has a little more depth than most people give him credit for. I didn't have a problem with the guy...and he's obviously got great taste in music! :D

Killer of Giants

Postby Doobie » Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:06 am

Yep, Andy, thanks for sharing.
Let's just hope he gets a little "cooler" after he breaks out of AI's contract.

Postby Fretman » Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:10 pm

Thanks for sharing that man...very cool story.

Postby aldear » Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:40 pm

I'll admit, I think Bo's first album is well.....very commercial, way too much for my tastes. My suspicion is that he's much harder edged than what the AI exects allowed him to be.
Whatever the case he was really personable, and seeemed to have a genuinely deep appreciation for Ray and Jake.

Thanks guys for the kind responses.

Andy

Killer of Giants

Postby frethead » Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:52 am

Yippee doo-doo! Let's hear it for some good ol' (American) Idol worship! Nothing personal, Aldear, but that did sound like a pretty lame "brush with stardom" story, and I regret now that I didn't heed the warning in the first two words- in bold type- before I chugged through that full-page insult to my attention. Bo Bice and Badlands . . . please God, help us.

Killer of Giants

Postby Doobie » Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:58 pm

Frethead, you're ALWAYS so negative! You author few, if any, posts. But, we can always count on you to have something negative to reply in any given thread. What can we do or SAY to make YOU feel better?!??!!

All Access Member

Postby PoetsandMadmen » Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:02 pm

Interesting story to say the least! You and your wife sound like me and my wife. She calls my music taste silly! :-) She says that most of the stuff I listen to gives her a headache. I reply back saying, "GOOD"! \nn/

Maybe Bo should sing In A Dream during his concerts if he wants to continue to pay tribute to Ray.

Return to All things Jake E Lee...