Scales Jake uses

Here we discuss topics related to Jake E Lee.

Moderator: skezza

Killer of Giants

Scales Jake uses

Postby johnthebrucelee » Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:30 pm

Hey just wondering what scales he uses for curiousity. From The Ultimate Ozzy, I picked up the blues, pentatonics, phygerian (?) from his live solo. Oh what string gauges does he uses? I haven't heard him from Badlands except for the Winters Call, just Ozzy. I just have to know my heroes. :P

Killer of Giants

Re: Scales Jake uses

Postby MetalHead » Thu Jan 12, 2006 8:52 am

he's using a medium-heavy string-gauge if I'm not mistaken ... 10-52(or 45 if the E is dropped)

As a lead player, Jake employs plenty of hammer-ons, pull-offs, and sped-up Jimmy Page-style pentatonic licks on things like Rumblin' Train and Dancing on the Edge. He'll sometimes play scale pattern with open string pull-offs ala Blackmore and Gary Moore. He does some tremolo picking. He did some two-handed tapping when with Ozzy. Jake can alternate pick as well as any of the 80s metal heroes when he needs to, but he also uses plenty of legato and plays his pentatonic licks in the traditional manner. Scalewise, Jake really prefers the Pentatonics, but also uses Aeolian, some Lydian, and some Diminished by way of Randy Rhoads.
"Spend less time chasing tones and more time just playing music." - Marty Friedman

All Access Member

Postby Stargazer » Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:45 am

Jake said in an interview that The Ultimate Sin Solo was pretty much an exercise in arpeggios.

Postby joshuajbeard » Sat Jan 14, 2006 1:45 am

Yes,I read that same interview where jake said it was an"exercise"in arpeggios.It is a shame the lack of material that has been on Jake over the years.As far as scales go,I would guess pentatonic,natural minor,blues,as well as harmonic minor mixed in.I would really have to analyze his works to see.I do have a old magazine that has "high wire"transcription.Maybe when I find it,I could write the editors notes about that song.

Killer of Giants

Postby Rock » Sat Jan 14, 2006 7:23 am

Well most rock/metal is pentatonic based, with a few notes slipped in here and there, I'm sure most of u guiatarists here know what I mean, and arpeggios are a nice neat thing that fits in with it all. :)

Postby joshuajbeard » Sat Jan 14, 2006 9:48 am

I understand what you mean:)Like mixing in the blues scale with the natural minor,or the harmonic minor with the natural minor.If anyone ever wants to know any scales,I have the guitar grimoire scales and modes,excellent book.

Killer of Giants

Postby Rock » Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:57 am

joshuajbeard wrote:I understand what you mean:)Like mixing in the blues scale with the natural minor,or the harmonic minor with the natural minor.If anyone ever wants to know any scales,I have the guitar grimoire scales and modes,excellent book.

Also I am a big fan of triplets etc, as most metal/rock players are.....just do a google search for scales etc...Heres a pretty extensive site for scales etc etc.....

http://www.cyberfret.com/scales/reference/index.php

Killer of Giants

Postby MetalHead » Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:26 pm

did anyone ever do a "... In the style of ..." tape about Jake btw ?
"Spend less time chasing tones and more time just playing music." - Marty Friedman

All Access Member

Postby reborn » Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:54 pm

Curt Mitchell did a in the style of Jake! I have it on CD, goes over stuff from the Jake/Ozzy material. I emailed him and asked him to do a video lesson sometime, but got no response. He does a monthly video lesson on his website...if enough of us requested, he might do a Jake riff or lick!!!
Last edited by reborn on Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

All Access Member

Postby reborn » Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:57 pm

He recently did a video breaking down Gary Moore tribute to Phil Lynot. He was playing jailbreak and breaking down the lick.
Last edited by reborn on Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

All Access Member

Postby reborn » Tue Aug 01, 2006 4:01 pm

here is the site.....www.curt-mitchell.com

Postby aldear » Tue Aug 01, 2006 5:38 pm

I have an old Hot Licks tape w/Wolf Marshall that is a Jake E. Lee Style. Seems like I remember some of the stuff he does on there is played out of Mixolydian. Still got the book that goes with it too....

Andy

Killer of Giants

Postby MetalHead » Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:48 pm

so there is a Jake tape ? :D

All Access Member

Postby Charvelised » Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:01 pm

The Chet Thompson "Jake Style and Secrets" video

Killer of Giants

Postby MetalHead » Wed Aug 02, 2006 6:44 am

is it available somewhere ?

Next

Return to All things Jake E Lee...